Thread: How to get video from multiple cameras

How to get video from multiple cameras

Hi,

I'm a self learner so I apologize for this basic question.
    I need to get videos from 3 different cameras at the same times with the highest frame rate possible.

I do not know how to do that and what is the most efficient way of doing it.

If I want to get 3 videos, should I create 3 different ICImagingControl ?
    Or use one to handle the 3 cameras ? How ?

I have a GigeCamera class so the same code will be used 3 times for 3 cameras.
    I am not looking for a solution that will do something like "Get result from camera 1, get result from camera 2 and get result from camera 3" but "get result from camera * 3".

Right now, I'm creating the ICImagingControl in my GigeCamera class so I will have one ICImaginControl for each camera. I have no ideas if it is the way to do it (probably not as it is not working properly).

My code is working perfectly for one camera. When I add another camera, I'm getting a frame rate very ridiculous (I am not even sure that I am getting the data from the cameras). However, the image snapshot is working great, a little slow to get it but I am getting the 3 images for the 3 cameras at the same times.

What is the solution ?
    Do you have some examples that can help me ?

Thank you,

Morgane

Re: How to get video from multiple cameras

Good Morning.

First of all, you are right, you need three IC Imaging Control instances one per camera.

If you want to use the same code for each camera, then create a new class. This class will contain one IC Imaging Control and all the other things you need to control one camera. Later, you can create as many as needed instances of your class.

You pass a camera name to each class, so it knows, which camera it handles.

I think, this is a good start.

Since I do not know, which camera you use, I can not justify, whether 3 fps is ok for three cameras run in parallel. If you have a camera with high resolution, then this sounds correct for me. For a VGA camera, you should be able to use 20 to 30 fps per camera.
    Best regards
    Stefan
    IC Imaging Control Support

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Geissler View Post
    Good Morning.

First of all, you are right, you need three IC Imaging Control instances one per camera.

If you want to use the same code for each camera, then create a new class. This class will contain one IC Imaging Control and all the other things you need to control one camera. Later, you can create as many as needed instances of your class.

You pass a camera name to each class, so it knows, which camera it handles.

I think, this is a good start.

Since I do not know, which camera you use, I can not justify, whether 3 fps is ok for three cameras run in parallel. If you have a camera with high resolution, then this sounds correct for me. For a VGA camera, you should be able to use 20 to 30 fps per camera.
    Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
    I already have implemented the solution with three IC Imaging Control.
    I'm working with a DFK23G445 and two DMK23G445 va ethernet using a PoE Netgear switch.

I'm still not having the 3 cameras working at the same times. It's like receiving nothing from the cameras.
    The only way I am getting images from the cameras is when I put a breakpoint on the image_available function triggered by the ImageAvailable.

What can be the problem ?

Thank you for your time and help,

Morgane

Morgane

problem can be bandwith. If the bandwidth is exhausted, you can not receive images from all cameras. However, setting all cameras to 10 fps should give images of all three of them.

Also I would like you to enable Jumbo frames on your network controller if possible. Set the packet size to 4kb or higher.
    Best regards
    Stefan
    IC Imaging Control Support

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Geissler View Post
    Morgane

problem can be bandwith. If the bandwidth is exhausted, you can not receive images from all cameras. However, setting all cameras to 10 fps should give images of all three of them.

Also I would like you to enable Jumbo frames on your network controller if possible. Set the packet size to 4kb or higher.
    Hi,

Thank you for your answer, it helped me!
    I was able to get the 3 cameras at the same time but only around 4FPS each.
    The Jumbo Frames did not seem to change anything...
    I will do some tests using the PoE cards instead as the goal is to get the highest resolution with the highest framerate and 4 is not enough for what I need to do.

Thanks again for your help !

Morgane