Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DFK21AU618 support on Linux

DFK21AU618 support on Linux

It is claimed that this camera is supported on Linux at the bottom of this page:

http://www.astronomycameras.com/prod.../dfk21au618as/

However, whilst unicap web pages suggest that all CCD cameras are supported, the patch only allows the UVC driver to recognise cameras with a VID/PID of 199e:8102, whereas my DFK21AU618 has a VID/PID of 199e:8101.

So, is the camera supported, or not? Or have I missed something else required for this camera to work?

James

Re: DFK21AU618 support on Linux

James,

I am very sorry, but "unicap" is no The Imaging Source product, therefore, I must admit, I do not know, how to answer your question. But "unicap" has an own forum, so you may ask there too.
    Best regards
    Stefan
    IC Imaging Control Support

Unfortunately the unicap forum has been broken for some time:

http://unicap-imaging.org/forums/index.php

Some of the downloads also appear to have gone missing from the website. I'm not sure the project is actually alive any more.

Can you confirm what the USB VID/PID values should be for the IS astronomy cameras and exactly what product has 199e:8102 ?

Thanks,
    James

James

Can you confirm what the USB VID/PID values should be for the IS astronomy cameras and exactly what product has 199e:8102 ?
    Confirmed. 199e:8101 is the hardware ID of my DBK 21AU618 and DMK 21BU618

As far as I know, the DFK 51AU02 has 199e:8102
    Best regards
    Stefan

Asking around, it appears that all of the 21, 31 and 41 USB models sold for astronomy have the 199e:8101 VID/PID (I can't find anyone with a 51 yet). This probably means that even using the patches on the Unicap website, none of them will work on Linux because the UVC driver does not recognise them.

Do the astronomy cameras present the same UVC-ish interface as other models or are they completely different? If they are similar then it may be possible for me to patch the UVC driver further to make them work.

James

This depends.....

There is a firmware, that makes the 21AU04, 31AU03 and 41AU02 models UVC compatible, so the V4L driver can be used. This firmware is not available for the 21AU618.

If a support case is created at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/ I could provide the update. It is a Windows program, that writes the update into the camera. The update can fail and make the camera unusable. That is your risk.
    Best regards
    Stefan

So the last line before the comments on this page:

http://www.astronomycameras.com/prod.../dmk21au618as/

which says "Software for Mac OS and Linux is available from third parties." is misleading then? Unicap requires V4L2 UVC support, and there is no firmware to make the 21AU618 UVC compliant, therefore it cannot be used with Unicap and cannot work on Linux?

James

I am very sorry for not working ucview (third party software, not The Imaging Source). Please also sorry for ,that we do not test all third party software (btw: currently I have no Linux experience on my own).

As far as I know, no firmware for 21AU618. However, do you tried V4L? (Unicap does not use V4L)
    Best regards
    Stefan

It looks from the website as if Unicap does use V4L for the CCD cameras and provides a user-space interface for CMOS cameras. The V4L interface does not appear to work with any of the astronomy cameras.

Do you know if the "normal" firmware for the 21, 31 and 41 cameras is "very similar" to UVC and the firmware just needed a small change to be recognised by the Linux UVC driver, or is it completely different? The unicap web pages say (of the AU/BU cameras):

"These cameras are UVC compliant but they have a vendor specific interface class specified in the USB descriptors. Due to this, the uvcvideo driver does not detect these cameras."

There is no explanation however of whether this is after the firmware has been changed or with the standard firmware.

James

It looks from the website as if Unicap does use V4L for the CCD cameras and provides a user-space interface for CMOS cameras. The V4L interface does not appear to work with any of the astronomy cameras.
    As I already said: A special firmware is necessary for this.

Do you know if the "normal" firmware for the 21, 31 and 41 cameras is "very similar" to UVC and the firmware just needed a small change to be recognised by the Linux UVC driver, or is it completely different? The unicap web pages say (of the AU/BU cameras):
    See above
    Best regards
    Stefan

I would like to add:

I have no Linux, so I can not test on my own.

Please ask the Unicap author for support for his software.
    Best regards
    Stefan

My Linux engineer told me:
    This command tells the uvc driver that it is responsible for the camera

echo "199e 8101" | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/uvcvideo/new_id

If the number "8101" does not work, you can run dmesg to determine the correct idProduct.
    Best regards
    Stefan

Indeed. I am not in a position to test with all the different models, but this solution is looking promising.

I'm not at all convinced this is the most efficient way to do things, but on my Mint 15 (based on Ubuntu) installation I now have a file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-tis-cameras.rules which reads:

Code:
    # Udev rules for TIS CCD cameras
    #

ACTION!="add", GOTO="tis_end"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", GOTO="tis_test"
    SUBSYSTEM!="usb_device", GOTO="tis_end"

LABEL="tis_test"

ATTRS{idVendor}=="199e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="8101", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/config-tis-camera.sh"

LABEL="tis_end"
    and a script /usr/local/bin/config-tis-camera.sh:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Load and appropriately configure UVC video driver for the USB TIS CCD
    # cameras

USB_ID="199e 8101"
    /sbin/modprobe uvcvideo && echo $USB_ID > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/uvcvideo/new_id
    This appears to get the camera recognised by the UVC driver when it is plugged in. I believe that any V4L2-compliant application (that can handle debayering the raw image data from the camera) should then work with the colour cameras. I can't test the mono models as I don't have one, but I think this should work for all of the USB DMK, DFK, DBK 21, 31 and 41 CCD astronomy cameras and perhaps some of the others as well. If I can find someone selling a used USB mono camera that might be useful to me at a reasonable price (probably the DMK21.618 or DMK41 as I'm unlikely to use the others) then I'll give it a try, but they don't seem to come up that often.

Having reached this point I also found a couple of German web pages suggesting the same solution is valid for some microscope cameras, but I have no first hand information about those.

I'd suggest that it would be very helpful if this information were made available somewhere on the main TIS website?

James

James,

I'd suggest that it would be very helpful if this information were made available somewhere on the main TIS website?
    I agree with you. This will be really interesting as soon as we go officially to Linux with our industrial cameras.
    Best regards
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Geissler View Post
    as we go officially to Linux with our industrial cameras.
    Hi there Stefan,

Long time since last support!

Since you've mentioned linux support, can you tell us when TIS plans to officially support linux for industrial cameras? Is it a work in progress?

Best Regards,
    Mauro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast