Thread: WPF on Windows 8

WPF on Windows 8

Hi,

I have a working WPF application using the IC Imaging Control hosted in a WindowsFormsHost. This works fine on Win7 on multiple PCs and laptops.

Now I have been trying to install this application on a Windows 8 tablet (Acer Iconia Tab) and it does not run at all.

To debug this I created a simple WPF project (with a single empty window) it runs fine on the tablet.

If I add a single line to the MainWindow class, it no longer runs correctly (I see nothing) :-

Code:
    Class MainWindow 
        Private WithEvents icImagingControl1 As TIS.Imaging.ICImagingControl = Nothing
    End Class
    If I remove the "=Nothing" then it works Ok. I get a window I can drag around ...

The following class definition also breaks. Any access to the IC control seems to break the application. There are no warning messages of any kind, no exceptions, nothing. (A WPF feature most likely).

Code:
    Class MainWindow 
        Private WithEvents icImagingControl1 As TIS.Imaging.ICImagingControl ' this Ok now

Public Sub New()

' This call is required by the designer.
            InitializeComponent()

' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
            icImagingControl1 = New TIS.Imaging.ICImagingControl ' this breaks it again
        End Sub
    End Class
    Can you explain what is going on ?
    Please dont tell me not to use WPF !

Jerry

Re: WPF on Windows 8

Hi Jerry,

I do not dare to ask: IC Imaging Control is installed on the Windows 8 system? Including .NET framwork and necessary VC runtime files? You may receive a usable error message, you can post. Wrap the "New TIS.Imaging.ICImagingControl" into a try... catch block and show the exception message, if there is one.

Also, I must admit, I have not as much Windows 8 experiences right now.
    Best regards
    Stefan
    IC Imaging Control Support

Stefan,

After a little more exploration I have found that building against dot.net framework 3.5 (rather than 4.0 which I had used initially) makes things much much better.

On a Win8 64bit PC things are working 100%

On the Win8 tablet, the application now runs but I cannot acquire images, getting a Device Lost message quickly after application start.

Shame as I wanted to add some touch gestures for the tablet too, and I don't think 3.5 supports touch.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Which device do you use? If the device is lost, you have a power problem, as soon as the camera starts providing images. The USB CCD cameras (Dxx 21,31,41,51) are very power consumptive, they need the full 500mA the USB controller can provide. The CMOS cameras need less mA.
    Best regards
    Stefan

Its a DFK 72AUC02-F so CMOS

That's a good point, I will check this out.

I tried it with a powered hub but I still get Device Lost message.

Hi

Is is possible to install IC Capture on the tablet and try again? However, I expect, that the camera will behave in the very same way. I must admit, I have no tablet experiences, therefore, I do not know, whether the camera can be used on it at all.
    Best regards
    Stefan

I tried it on a ViewSonic Win7 tablet and Image acquisition seems to work.

I have found that running in live video mode, the GUI becomes very slow to respond. I know its only a 1.6GHz Atom processor but is there a more efficient way of screen updating than using IC.DisplayImageBuffer inside ImageAvailable event. The constant screen update seems to slow processing of windows messages.

Jerry

Jerry,

The Atom CPU's processor architecture is not very suitable for the camera, especially in high frame rates, because it has an In-Order architecture. Desktop CPUs use an Out-Of-Order architecture, which allows more parallelization.
    The time consuming process is the RGB color calculation, which is donw on in the computer, the camera sends raw data only. Therefore, you have a very high CPU load. You may use a lower frame rate.
    Best regards
    Stefan