Thread: dfk21au04.as and OSX

dfk21au04.as and OSX

Dear Forum,

I'm sure this is something already discussed, however I'm not able to find any related posts.
    I've recently purchased a DFK 21AU04 and I'm very happy with that. No issue at all with the camera and I'm getting excellent results while imaging planets with my Celestron C9.25.

I have only a question: I understand that Firewire models will work with MAC OSX, although the needing to get an external power source for those laptop (like the MacBook Pro) having a 4pin Firewire port (another cable to my setup? pleaseee nooo!!!) plus purchasing a third part software that it doesn't seem to be that attractive in term of costs.

Said that, I was wondering about what are the technical reasons that are making USB model to be NOT supported on MAC... Is it that difficult to let this camera talk with OSX? Any future chance to get my DFK working natively with MAC systems?
    I'm sure that would make extremely happy any MAC user as myself.

NOTE: I'm not trying to disrespect your excellent work, I'm very happy as I said with the camera.
    However as a customer, I would like to have that added value within product compatibility.

With Regards, Cris

Re: dfk21au04.as and OSX

Hello,

Unfortunately driver development is extremely expensive. Especially for Mac OSx it is much more expensive as for Windows or Linux, because in Mac OSx driver development is more complicated.

As far as I know, Apple does not want to implement UVC drivers, so native support will not be given.
    Best regards
    Stefan
    IC Imaging Control Support

I would like to add, we needed nearly three years development for our Windows FireWire driver.
    Best regards
    Stefan
    IC Imaging Control Support

Thanks Stefan