PDA

View Full Version : Sony camera external trigger question

Unregistered
December 13, 2002, 17:25:30
I have several questions regarding to using external trigger to snap pictures:

1. For a single frame capturing, is using external trigger faster than the snapImage() method?

2. Do I need to call startLive(false) before I can use external trigger mode to capture a frame?

3. Is the image captured via external trigger mode also stored in the ring buffers, and, if yes, can I still retrieve the image data by getting the active buffer?

4. Since I send a hardware signal physically to the camera in this mode, how can my application know when the capture process is finished?

Thank you!

This message was originally posted by Yi Ren in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
December 16, 2002, 12:33:45
Hello,

1) External trigger is not faster. The camera starts the exposure of an image the very moment it "sees" the trigger. Therefore, it is more precise.

2) Yes

3) If you do not write images to an AVI file, images are stored in the ring buffer.

4) snapImage will not return before a frame is grabbed.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support

This message was originally posted by IC Support in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
December 16, 2002, 16:28:01
About your answer to the question No. 4:

My understanding is that If I use external trigger, I don't need to call snapImage() since the external trigger will issue a capture command via hardware. If that is true, I need a way to know when the the frame is captured and stored in the active buffer(I only snap one frame).

Thank you!

This message was originally posted by Yi in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
December 16, 2002, 17:33:46
Hello,

You have to call snapImage. This "tells" the camera it should send an image. If the camera is in trigger mode, it will do nothing until it detects a trigger signal. The trigger signal starts the exposure. After the exposure has been finished, the image is transferred.
If snapImage is not called, the camera will not react on a trigger event.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support.

This message was originally posted by IC Support in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
December 17, 2002, 16:42:43
Thanks!

This message was originally posted by Yi Ren in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.