PDA

View Full Version : CPU usage in DFG/1394

Unregistered
December 12, 2002, 12:10:59
Hi,

I've just incorporated the DFG/1394 into my image processing application and and it turned out that just grabbing frames to memory produces quite high CPU usage.
On a desktop Athlon XP 1800 with 512MB RAM I get 50% peaks periodicaly every few seconds. In the remaining time it's about 20%. The values are of course somewhat inaccurate because of some other processes in the application, but using your IC 1.3 DemoApp (C++) I get similar behaviour with even more CPU usage but I am sure it's due to displaying the live video in a window. I checked the same thing on a laptop and again it was even worse but it because of less processing power. I am using the DirectShow interface but I don't think it's an issue, as IC uses it as well. Another DS test application consisting only of 2 filters connected together (video capture and sample grabber) produced similar behaviour.
We would like to do some real time image processing on the incoming video stream so we need quite much CPU power. Is there any solution to that problem (apart getting a more powerful system) ?

Best regards,

Pawel Zogal

This message was originally posted by Pawel Zogal in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
December 16, 2002, 13:17:56
Hello,

The latest driver comes with a more powerful YUV transform filter. So you should try a YUV format with the latest driver.

If your image processing functions can be applied to YUV image data, you will not have to convert the image stream at all. This would save processor time.

If you do not need every frame of the image stream, you should pause the stream for the frames you will not use or specify a lower frame rate.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support

This message was originally posted by IC Support in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.