PDA

View Full Version : Unibrain firewire camera properties

Unregistered
July 2, 2002, 16:58:52
When I try the Fire-i 400 camera none of the properties like brightness, gamma correction, etc. is available! I've installed the correct drivers and the properties are available in the demo-program supplied by Unibrain.
When I use the standard driver as supplied with windows xp (1394 desktop video camera) brightness is available but none of the others and only 2 videoformats are available. (with the unibrain driver all videoformats are available)

I really wanna know if others are having the same problem before I buy the developers license!

Thanks

This message was originally posted by Thierry Vanmarcke in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
July 3, 2002, 04:09:05
Oh, and I tried the camera in the GraphEditor and it shows as a WDM streaming capture device and when that I right-click on the filter, properties like gain, gamma, brightness etc. are available, so I guess the camera is fully wdm compatible!

This message was originally posted by Thierry Vanmarcke in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
July 3, 2002, 12:13:07
FYI: I'm having the same problems with the Fire-i 400 camera that you just described. I also cannot get acces to brightness, gamma correction etc. using imagingcontrol. But I think, perhaps, it is a matter of the Unibrain driver not exposing these settings to software developers - and NOT a problem within the ImagingControl itself? I would like to hear ImagingControls opinion on this.

If some camera manufacturers refuse to ship their camera products with proper camera drivers to gain acces to all camera settings (that the camera manufacturers themselves are using in THEIR own software products) - wouldn't it be a good idea for ImagingControl to blacklist these camera manufacturers on your website? This way you would be putting pressure on the camera manufactures to provide better drivers with their products PLUS preventing other ImagingControl users from having to go through the same problems! It would be nice to have a camera database on your website that told customers about which camera functions are accesible through each camera manufacturers driver.

By the way, when you choose the setting RGB-24 (640 x 480) in an ImagingControl application : are your pictures then also turned upside-down (actually they are flipped/inverted)?

This message was originally posted by Ole Jakobsen in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
July 3, 2002, 12:27:10
I don't think it is a problem with the Unibrain driver since the properties are available in the grapheditor. And I totally agree, if a manufacturer doesn't ship the camera with proper drivers it should be on a 'black list'. Hell, I bought the unibrain camera instead of the standard camera/framegrabber solution because it looked so easy to use, I think I am screwed!
I don't know if my picture is upside down, I am still waiting for a lens. If you wrote the display stuff yourself instead of using the imaging control I would say that you needed to invert the value that describes the height of the DIB structure (had that problem with my own softawre), but I guess this is not the case ;-)

Come on support, tell us your opinion on this issue!

Unregistered
July 3, 2002, 19:19:23
Hello,

We downloaded the trial version of the Unibrain driver and checked it out. Ole Jakobsen is right. The driver does not export standard DirectShow interfaces for brightness and the other properties. The property page that is poped up by graphedit is a proprietary one installed by the driver.

The driver must provide access to all of his settings providing proprietary interfaces because the Unibrain application can use them. Obviously, IC Imaging can only use standard DirectShow interfaces, because this is the only way to guarantee hardware indipendency.

Now you could ask: Why is there no method in IC that pops up the property page of a driver (graphedit does this too)?

This wouldn't help much. With this feature the user would be able to alter settings, but the application would not be able to store the settings nor would the application be able to write them back to the driver. In other words: the application would not be able to put the driver into a user defined state. What is a calibration good for if the application cannot restore it?

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support

This message was originally posted by IC Support in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
July 4, 2002, 11:33:52
Hello,
Well, I'm glad we sorted that out then ...
I have a couple of further question for you guys at IC:

1) How can one tell what DirectShow interfaces a driver exports. I mean, when I ONLY have a downloaded driver and not the camera, so that I cannot "see" the camera using my ImagingControl?

2) I'm now thinking of purchasing a Sony firewire camera (DFW-V500, VL500, SX900, X700). Does the driver for these cameras export the necessary DirectShow interfaces? FYI: The Sony cameras don't come with a driver of their own as they are using Microsofts own standard 1394-driver.

3) If the answer to question 2) is positive then: If a camera manufacturer doesn't make his own driver but instead makes sure that the camera complies with Microsofts own standard 1394-driver, is it then, in general, possible to say that the camera exports the necessary DirectShow interfaces?

4) When installing the Unibrain driver Windows pops up a warning that the driver isn't signed up with Microsoft. Well, though I guess that this is always a bad sign, my question to you is: If a camera driver is signed up with Microsoft (I know MSs own drivers are) is it THEN safe to say that the driver exports the necessary DirectShow interfaces?

In advance: Thank you very, very much for your help! I'm sure a lot of other customers are pondering the same questions.

Regards,
Ole

This message was originally posted by Ole Jakobsen in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
July 4, 2002, 12:26:32
Well, I am not happy at all. I am on a deadline and now I can start all over again. The only reason I bought the unibrain camera was that it had a great price and that there was an activex control available for it. So I guess it is back to the standard camera/framegrabber combination!
Or does anyone knows about another cheap firewire camera?

Unregistered
July 4, 2002, 16:31:16
Hello,

1) Only a test (camera and driver) will show whether a driver exports standard DirectShow properties. But the good news is: There are more than one drivers for DCAM cameras. If the camera is DCAM compliant, it should be possible to use the standard XP driver.

2)The Sony DCAM cameras work with the standard XP driver. There is a special driver for the Sony cameras (sonyfcam.sys) that exports the standard DirectShow properties. In addition, this driver provides special features of the cameras, that cannot be mapped to DirectShow properties. At the end of this week, we will release an add-on for IC Imaging Control 1.3 that provides access to these special features of the Sony DCAM driver.
As of the 05 july 2002, please check our web site for a free download:

<a href="http://www.1394imaging.com/">http://www.1394imaging.com</a>

If a device has special features that cannot be mapped to standard DirectShow properties there is no other way to make them accessible than using proprietary interfaces.
At the moment we are designing a generic interface to access proprietary features of device drivers from IC Imaging Control.

3)If a camera is DCAM comliant it should work with the standard XP driver. The XP driver exports standard DirectShow properties and therefore the camera can be used in IC. So, it is a question of whether or not the camera is DCAM compliant.

4)In general, it is not a bad sign if a driver is not signed up with Microsoft. On the other hand I have no idea whether or not Microsoft checks a WDM stream class driver for standard property interfaces.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support

This message was originally posted by IC Support in the old IC Imaging Control Support Forum.

Unregistered
July 4, 2002, 16:57:28
Hello,

We are in contact with the manufacturer of the Unibrain Fire-i400 camera in Korea and try to find a suitable driver.

You could also try to use the standard XP DCAM driver.

To avaid the upside down problem, you could use YUV as the camera format. IC Imaging Control will transform the video stream to RGB24 for you.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support

Unregistered
July 4, 2002, 17:14:17
Hi!

1) What does DCAM stand for (D for DirectShow or D as in Digital?)? Is it a driver standard controlled by Microsoft?

2) The Sony firewire cameras (DFW-V500, VL500, SX900, X700) I mentioned, are THEY DCAM compliant?

3) I searched for "sonyfcam.sys" in Google, but I couldn't find it! Where can I download this driver should I get my hands on a Sony camera? Does it come for free? Is it Sony that supplies this driver?

4) Is this correct: If I use the standard XP driver shipped with Windows then I can use some of the DirectShow interfaces for my Sony DCAM camera. The only difference if I use "sonyfcam.sys" is that it is a more powerful driver exporting a greater number of DirectShow interfaces?

Thanks,
Ole

Unregistered
July 4, 2002, 17:58:40
Hello,

1) DCAM stands for Digital CAMera specification. DCAM is specified by the 1394 Trade Association, a non profit organisation, and defines a protocal to get and set camera settings and get image data out of camera.

2) Sony DCAM cameras are DCAM compliant because Sony is a member of the working group within the 1394 Trade Association that defined DCAM.

3) The driver "sonyfcam.sys" was developed by Sony.
As of the 05 july 2002, please check our web site for a free download:
<a href="http://www.1394imaging.com/">http://www.1394imaging.com</a>

4)Yes, that is true.

Best regards
Johannes
IC Support