PDA

View Full Version : DFK 33UJ003 anyone using one of these for 4k?

BabaG
April 9, 2017, 23:03:58
just trying to set up a system to capture 4k(ish) imaging and got one of the DFK 33UJ003 cameras. i have several things to test and am just getting started. one thing is the lens: not sure i have the right lens for my purposes. that means i'm testing both the camera and lens.

so far i've been able to squeeze through a still image (i'll ultimately be capturing video) and need to confirm some observations. first, it looks like, in the default ic capture setup i'm testing with, when capturing at the smallest size, say, 640x480, it simply crops in to the center of the sensor and takes and area 640x480. expanding the size seems to simply activate more of the sensor. is that basically correct?

the reason i ask is that i've not been able to capture at the largest size. my system seems to bottleneck at something like 2560x1920. this is probably because i'm on an old laptop for the moment and it only uses usb2. haven't wanted to spring for a new computer until i start to get sorted whether the lens/camera combo are working together. so...

two questions:

1. do i have it right about revealing more and more sensor as i go to larger frame sizes?
2. what would be a minimum in a new system to be able to comfortably capture the full 3856px sensor to the most robust format the camera will supply?

thanks for any help,
BabaG

Stefan Geissler
April 10, 2017, 11:22:37
Hello

640x480 cropping:
Yes, the smaller resolutions are a region on the sensor only, not the full sensor.

USB 2
That is still too slow for the camera.

1. do i have it right about revealing more and more sensor as i go to larger frame sizes?
Yes

2. what would be a minimum in a new system to be able to comfortably capture the full 3856px sensor to the most robust format the camera will supply?
Intel Core i3 or better. USB 3.0, Intel, Fresco or Renesas chip. Not ASMEDIA (the USB 3.0 are somwhat incompatible), not Texas Instruments (they are slow, my has 300MBit/s
only)

BabaG
April 10, 2017, 19:44:41
thanks, stefan. very helpful. i'll start looking into this.

another question: i'm not familiar with fresco, renesas or asmedia. when you refer to these chips as being inferior, just what chips are these? i looked up asmedia and they seem to be usb hub/ports.

thanks again,
BabaG

Stefan Geissler
April 11, 2017, 08:24:41
Fresco or Fresno ( I am not really sure) is fine. ASMEDA made trouble in many computers. They are USB 3 chips.

BabaG
June 1, 2017, 00:26:25
i think we're about ready to jump in on this now. has taken until now to get a lens that seemed right for our purposes but i've just now managed to squeeze a properly sized image through the usb2 connection on our existing laptop. now that we see that we can get a lens appropriate to our setup, i guess it's time to get a laptop that can keep up with the data coming from the camera.

i don't recall ever seeing the usb chipsets listed in laptop specs. maybe i just never looked as i never needed high throughput via usb. stefan, can you make a recommendation on a laptop manufacturer who sells models with the chipsets you specified above? in the audio work i do i've matched my systems to those used by the developers of the apps i use. does the imaging source publish its system specs like that so i could match them? is there a recommended system for the dfk33 i've been testing?

thanks,
BabaG

BabaG
June 1, 2017, 22:25:16
just got an email from jason at tis and he's saying he likes lenovo as more consistently reliable. do you know if all of the lenovo laptops or desktops use the more desirable chipsets?

thanks,
BabaG