PDA

View Full Version : DFK 23G318 only 4 FPS in 3rd party application

rrobinson
April 4, 2017, 14:30:08
Hello,

I have a DFK 23G318 successfully running in IC Capture at 120 fps (In a Windows 7 environment). When I try to use it in a 3rd party application (Foresight FSX 3.0 golf simulator software) all I get is 4 FPS. I noticed that in IC Capture that 4 FPS is the lowest FPS selectable (along with others 7.5,15,30,90,120, etc). Even though the 3rd party app has the ability to set the maximum frame rate it is stuck at the lowest setting (4 FPS) when it is recording and displaying the effective frame rate. I have turned off auto exposure/gain settings as well in the app and manually set those to the fastest settings possible as well with no change.

Is there a setting (*.ini or registry setting) that I could change to allow for the MAX fps (120 fps) to be used by the 3rd party app by default (always)? Is this a camera firmware issue? I have version 599 (I think). Are there any Windows settings that could affect this? I have turned off all virus protection as well.

Would really love to use these cameras with this application (I have 4 of them!).

Thanks!

Rob

Stefan Geissler
April 4, 2017, 15:38:21
Hi Rob

Did you ask the programmers of your software, why they have a problem with frame rates?

You could use also AMCAP software, which is the MS standard DirectShow sample. It also allows to set the frame rate and that works. So it must be a problem in the software you use.

rrobinson
April 4, 2017, 15:55:45
Hi Rob

Did you ask the programmers of your software, why they have a problem with frame rates?

You could use also AMCAP software, which is the MS standard DirectShow sample. It also allows to set the frame rate and that works. So it must be a problem in the software you use.

Thanks! I'll try out the AMCAP app next.

rrobinson
April 4, 2017, 16:50:46
Hi Rob

I tried AMCAP (thanks for the suggestion) and I am seeing something interesting. When I first start the app and connect to the camera the FPS is 4 FPS (3.7) and then I go to Options/Video Device/Capture Format and I simply click APPLY (with no changes) then it shoots right up to 120 FPS!

So this has me thinking that some initial defaults are not setup correctly? I tried this with a second camera (same steps) and the same result happened. This leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with the 3rd party app and that there is some initial default settings that need to be initialized first.

The current firmware revisions for the DFK23G318 is Rev 599, Hardware Rev 17

Is this outdated? Are there any default registry settings I can look at for the drivers, etc?

Thanks for the help!

Rob

Stefan Geissler
April 4, 2017, 17:49:40
Hello Rob

599 is not current. But what you see is not a problem of the firmware, it is a software issue.

I also asked the driver programmer whether it is possible to limit the list of available frame rates, but unfortunately this is not supported in the GigE driver. Thus: Ask your software programmer to correct this in his software.

rrobinson
April 4, 2017, 18:49:56
Hello Rob

599 is not current. But what you see is not a problem of the firmware, it is a software issue.

I also asked the driver programmer whether it is possible to limit the list of available frame rates, but unfortunately this is not supported in the GigE driver. Thus: Ask your software programmer to correct this in his software.

What is interesting is that the same 3rd party application works just fine with the DFK23U318 (the USB version). So I do think there is something going on with the fact that the DFK23G318 is not properly initialized? Or better yet that is is defaulting to the lowest resolution (4 FPS). Perhaps the USB driver defaults to the highest FPS (120)? Can you ask the driver programmer if that is the case? Are you certain that this cannot be adjusted in the firmware (not being sure where the default FPS is determined). Keep in mind that the AMCAP app is exhibiting the exact same behavior as the 3rd party app so I think asking them to "correct it" will not prove very useful as I'm sure they are just using the default frame rate (much like AMCAP must be). Again, can we look at changing the default frame rate for either the GigE driver/firmware (or maybe there is some other way - is there an XML description file somewhere I can change?)

EDIT: Just did some more researching. Do you know of any DirectShow apps that could work to act between the camera and the 3rd party app that perhaps could set the appropriate settings (i.e. FPS) so that when 3rd party app would just see the app as another source. Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Rob

Stefan Geissler
April 5, 2017, 09:12:11
Hello

We can try a firmware update, please create a contact at http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/company/contact/

The driver programmer wont be helpful.

A "default" frame rate wont help.

To your edit: I did that years ago for fun. But never finished that.

rrobinson
April 5, 2017, 14:29:51
Ok great. Just completed the contact form. Thanks!

rrobinson
April 5, 2017, 22:35:16
Well the firmware improved the default behavior of AMCAP (30 fps instead of 4 fps), but unfortunately the 3rd party app is still stuck at 4 fps. I've decided to return the 4 cameras and go back to the USB version at this time. Thanks! Rob

Stefan Geissler
April 6, 2017, 09:23:08
Hi Rob

OK. However, asking the manufacturer of your software was no option at all, I guess.