PDA

View Full Version : DFK42BUC03 General Questions

Ian Partridge
April 2, 2017, 14:26:41
On the DFK42BUC03 USB2 camera in low light, or when gain is turned right down, a myriad of speckles appear? They mysteriously do not change in aspect when the camera body is turned upside down? So where are they?

On my standard definition CCD camera, dead pixels are on the CCD and when you invert the camera they move upside down.

Ian

Stefan Geissler
April 3, 2017, 10:05:28
Hello Ian

the DFK 42BUC03 is a CMOS camera. That means, at high gain and long exposure times the hot pixels become more prominent. That is normal behavior.

Alsom turning a sensor has no effect on its way of working. Pixels do not move like ink.

Ian Partridge
April 4, 2017, 02:17:24
Hello Ian

the DFK 42BUC03 is a CMOS camera. That means, at high gain and long exposure times the hot pixels become more prominent. That is normal behavior.

Also turning a sensor has no effect on its way of working. Pixels do not move like ink.

Thanks Stefan.

I am testing out various settings and codecs with various results. My DFK 42BUC03 camera is mounted upside down behind a projector gate focussed on the gate aperture. I have rigged a 9 volt DC power source to activate the trigger utilising a reed switch and a button-size magnet mounted so that it impulses the reed switch exactly once-per-frame after each pull down of the projector shutter.

A diffused light source illuminates the film emulsion. I find that the lens requires stopping down, and the light source lower, more than with my CCD standard definition camera setup. The cmos camera is much more sensitive than the SD CCD. The picture highlights (thin emulsion areas) easily appear hot.

My aim is 25 fps capture in HD but I am not convinced that USB2 is fast enough for this? Perhaps the camera has a buffer?

I have captured some good results at first, but at present the captures and live image appear with a mottled mosaic appearance? Trying different resolutions and codecs has not changed the mosaic embossing?

On the list of available codecs the one recommended in Help and setup, LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Codec (VFW), is not present?

Does the USB2 DFK 42BUC03 have any direct means of monitoring output other than through a host computer?

Ian

Stefan Geissler
April 4, 2017, 10:19:07
Hi Ian

I hope, your reed switch and connected electronics is debounced....

25 fps is a little bit narrow, Free running is fine, but triggered can be a problem, because the exposure time sums to the delivery time.

Can you please post an image showing the mosaic?

The Leadtools codec is available a Leadtools web page. It is not for free. The codec show in the screenshots have this codec only by incident. However, it is a usable one, like the PicVideo of accusoft.

(I supose Leadtools and accusoft are trade marks.)

The camera can output only via USB. There are no other outputs for video.

Ian Partridge
April 8, 2017, 16:16:24
Hi Ian

I hope, your reed switch and connected electronics is debounced....

25 fps is a little bit narrow, Free running is fine, but triggered can be a problem, because the exposure time sums to the delivery time.

Can you please post an image showing the mosaic?

The Leadtools codec is available a Leadtools web page. It is not for free. The codec show in the screenshots have this codec only by incident. However, it is a usable one, like the PicVideo of accusoft.

(I supose Leadtools and accusoft are trade marks.)

The camera can output only via USB. There are no other outputs for video.

Hello Stefan,

By experiment I have discovered some working settings for the camera and codecs to use the IC Capture camera software.

I now have the setup capturing cine using the trigger facility, and managed to adjust to get an acceptable picture that allows adjustiing lens stop or backlight source to adjust exposure. Manual trigger speed is about 16 fps and I was surprised that the trigger was impulsed OK as I anticipated the magnet would not be powerful enough to close the reed switch at higher speeds. It may require a microswitch at 25 fps.

It seems the best method is to save each setup eg: "16mm Kodachrome 1937" and open the IC Capture programme for each saved setting.

The trigger positive DC source is a simple 9 volt battery. Series resistance is not required below 12 volts according to the manual. The reed switch is always open so that the impulse to pins 3 and 4 on the camera Hirose connector is momentary, only when the magnet passes at each frame pull down. Not sure what you mean by debounced? This is not mentioned in the camera trigger Technical Details manual. I guess that should the rotating magnet stop next to the reed switch, closing the circuit, then the camera is only impulsed once and the battery will not drain?

In Windows, how do I add new codecs to the IC Capture programme?

I see that the list of available codecs varies depending on what other software you have running on each computer. I have Blackmagic codecs listed as I use Multibridge Eclipse and Avid Media Composer. This was the reason I had difficulty with settings as some of the codecs listed are incompatible.

On the Hirose camera connector what are the pins 1 and 2 "general purpose open drain output" for? Is this an output for video?

Ian

Stefan Geissler
April 10, 2017, 12:18:34
Hi Ian

Debounce:
If you have a mechanical switch, such as yours, then you will get more than one pulse when then contact is being closed. It bounces forth and back. This can lead to a secondly started exposure on the sensor, while it is still exposing and therefore lead to weird images.

New Codecs:
Just install them. If they are compatible, IC Capture will list them. New Codecs should come with an installation program

GP Out:
They are used as digital output, e.g. as a switch to trigger a strobe light. Open Drain means, there is some extra electronics needed to use them. And that is not for video.