PDA

View Full Version : DMK51 noisy image compared to DMK41 same basic settings

pterodyne
February 21, 2017, 05:00:41
PLease see the attached images from my all sky camera. I have had a bunch of problems with my DMK41 USB 2 Monochrome camera so I replaced it with a DMK51 usb 2 Monochrome. THe camera performs well but disconnects all the time. The DMK51 seems more stable (occasional corrupted frames) but is WAY more noisy at similar settings.

Using IC capture yields the same result. Im wondering if there is a firmware update for this camera, (either of them really). I went back to the DMk 41 for a long time, but I recently put the 51 back in to try to resolve the camera not delivering frames issue on the 41.

I realize the 51 may be less sensitive, but I should be able to get better results than I am with that CCD. Seems like something in the gain is screwed up. Same F-stop on both lenses (2.4). Daylight images are totally blown out at F2.4 at .10 seconds.

Stefan Geissler
February 21, 2017, 09:43:47
Hello

I am sorry for the disconnects, this could be cable issue. Or may be a power problem, so you may try an active USB 2.0 hub.

Regarding compare the sensors: They are different. Thus they answer different. The gain runs analogue on the sensor. That is all I can say. A newer firmware is not available. The DMK 51 has slightly smaller pixels and therefore is less light sensitive. Also you can not set the same gain and exposure value in both cameras and expect similar results. I can only suggest to configure the DMK 51 until you have comparable results. However, I guess you already did that.

Without the settings for exposure and gain I am not able to justify your images.

I will send the same text to your email you have sent to me.