PDA

View Full Version : DFK 21BF04-Z2.H Conversion

Indiana
August 26, 2016, 05:51:08
Hello,
I recently bought a DFK 21BF04-Z2.H camera online and should have done a bit more research before buying as the seller advertised it as a monochrome camera. The camera was finally delivered this week but upon plugging it into my Mac, I realized it was a color camera. I specifically wanted the monochrome version for the increased sensitivity for my telescope autoguiding application. I'll probably pay 30% of the cost of the camera in return shipping, so I'm trying to see if I can avoid returning it. Is there any way that the camera could be converted to a monochrome version? I am used to building electronic projects and can replace the CCD if that's the only part that needs to be replaced. Of course since the camera was sold as used, it came without any warranty!

Also, while all the DFK 21BF04 models I saw online were without a lens, mine arrived with an inbuilt lens, which I do not need. Is it possible to remove the camera's lens, as I would like to use my telescope's guide scope lens? The camera is supposed to be used as a guide cam.

Lastly the camera's body is completely black unlike the blue color cameras listed on the imagine source website. There is also no identification anywhere on the camera body itself, is that how it is supposed to be?

Here's the information the mac grabs if I plugin the camera:

DFx 21BF04-Z2:
Manufacturer: Imaging Source
Model: DFx 21BF04-Z2
GUID: 0x748120271C476
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
Unknown Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x102
Unit Spec ID: 0xA02D

Thanks for your help

Stefan Geissler
August 26, 2016, 09:12:09
I am very sorry, but there is no way to exchange the sensor. it is cheaper to buy a new (used?) camera.

A monochrome camera from us starts with "DM" which means "Digital" "Mono". The "F" stands for "Farbe" which is "color" in English.

Indiana
August 26, 2016, 14:25:00
Stefan,
Thanks for the clarification. I will begin looking for a DMK version.

I may decide to keep the DFK for acquiring planetary images. Is there a way to remove the lens built into the camera? Also, I assume this model must have been manufactured before the current blue versions?

Thanks for your help

I am very sorry, but there is no way to exchange the sensor. it is cheaper to buy a new (used?) camera.

A monochrome camera from us starts with "DM" which means "Digital" "Mono". The "F" stands for "Farbe" which is "color" in English.

Stefan Geissler
August 26, 2016, 15:19:06
Well, it is your camera and it is out of warranty. So you can feel free to dismount it to your needs.