PDA

View Full Version : Celestron Skyris 236C - No Image

glenc2004
May 29, 2016, 20:27:46
Hello everyone. I just recently purchased a Celestron Skyris 236C and I just recently tried some imaging and it seems it's not working as I expected. This is my 1st time every using an imaging camera and I'm curious if what I'm seeing is common. I would expect to see at least some image coming from the camera even though it's not dark, etc. But all I see is either completely dark image are bright depending on what it's pointing at. I tried various things such as frame rate changes, image size change, different USB ports and even different computers with both Windows 7 and Windows 10. I also updated the driver but have found no new firmware. I'm not sure what else to try as I'm really new to this type of imaging. I do have a USB 3.0 in my primary laptop I'm using for the imaging and I know it's supported on this device. Just really not sure what I should be expecting from the output. I do have a support case open with Celestron but I figured I'd find someone in the forums that could maybe help a newbie!

Here is what I saw with my 1st try....

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm expected about the process! Just need a little assistance in getting there.

Thanks!

Glen

Stefan Geissler
May 30, 2016, 09:17:01
Hello

IC Capture (or iCap) shows the achieved frame rate in the title bar of its window. Does it show something like "[nn fps]"? I suppose yes, since you were able to save an image.

Please try a 1/30 second exposure time.
Use the camera without your telescope. You should receive a bright white image.

Did you ask the Celestron support for help?

glenc2004
May 30, 2016, 18:03:14
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I setup icap to do 1/30 exposure and 30fps. The live output is showing 30fps and I do see a white screen. Is this what's expected? Or should I be seeing more of a webcam type output. And yes, I did open a ticket with Celestron. Just our holiday weekend so I won't hear anything back from them for another day or two.

Regards,

Glen

Stefan Geissler
May 31, 2016, 09:06:42
Hi

Yes, the white screen is expected. The normal window background of IC Capture is black. Thus, you get an image. You may close the camera aperture with your hand, then you should see the white going gray.

glenc2004
June 3, 2016, 05:54:17
Hi Stefan,

I was able to get some assistance from Celestron. The issue was with the understanding of the operation of a camera. They provided some good tips and I was able to get a visible image outside the scope. My lack of understanding of the FOV was the issue. Now I'll be able to proceed with this new information.

Thanks so much for your information too. Very helpful!

Glen

Stefan Geissler
June 3, 2016, 09:11:23
Hi Glen

I am glad to read that Celestron was able to help and understand your problem better than me. I am not an astronomer, but machine vision engineer.