PDA

View Full Version : DMK41 live feed/capture freezes when camera warms up...

miket2000
May 31, 2015, 03:53:44
Hi All,

I have had my DMK41 mono USB 2.0 camera running on windows 7 for a few years but recently have started using it under warmer (90degF) conditions during the day for solar imaging and have been experiencing capture freezes after a few minutes into my image capture session. Today it was so bad, it froze while I was viewing the live feed on my PC and before I was able to capture even one AVI. When it freezes, the only way to recover is to unplug the camera from the USB port on the PC and re-plug it in. However, once it warms up and freezes once, unplugging it and re-plugging it in only solves the issue for a few seconds before it freezes again. Then I start to get the "camera detected but no live feed detected" error message. I thought it might be my PC, and it still might be, but there are no other issues or freeze ups with the PC - only the camera live feed and recording within the IC Capture program. I have even put cool gel packs wrapped in a towel under the PC to keep it cool, and it does keep it cool but the live feed from the camera still freezes and makes it impossible to use. I also shielded the DMK41 from direct sunlight to keep it cooler, but that didn't work either. I suspect it is the camera that is overheating and causing the freeze up but wanted to see if others have experienced this issue and have found a resolution.

Any help provided would be appreciated!

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 1, 2015, 09:10:51
Hello Mike

I would like to know, whether the the happens, if you do not look at the sun, e.g. run it simply at home in your room and see, what happens.

Also the typical support questions must be asked....
- driver is 2.7.9?
- did anything change on your computer? e.g. software installed?

miket2000
June 2, 2015, 02:22:51
Hi Stefan,

I will answer your questions in-line below:

I would like to know, whether the the happens, if you do not look at the sun, e.g. run it simply at home in your room and see, what happens.
ANSWER: Indoors, powered by the laptop's battery, the problem does not occur.

Also the typical support questions must be asked....

- driver is 2.7.9?
ANSWER: No, it is 1.0.1.24. However, when the problem first started occurring, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and IC Capture software from the imagingsource website thinking it might resolve the issue but had problems with dropped/missing frames (dropped two frames for every one not dropped) and ended up backing out both installs and re-installing the original drivers and program that were on the CDROM that was included with the DMK41 when I purchased it.

- did anything change on your computer? e.g. software installed?
ANSWER: No changes to software.

Some additional information since my original post:
Thinking it might be a heat related issue with either the camera or my laptop, I wrapped the DMK41 and laptop base with heating pads and brought the temps of both to over 130 degrees F and performed continuous captures for 30+ minutes without any issues. So, overheating does not seem to be an issue.

Thanks again,

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 2, 2015, 08:42:17
Version 1.0.1.24 is not Windows 7 compatible. Please make sure, 2.7.9 or higher is installed.

Maybe you can try another USB cable?

Sorry for guessing around, but I have no better ideas.

miket2000
June 3, 2015, 00:56:57
Hi Stefan,

The imaging source download site states driver v2.7.9 is required for Windows 8. I am running Windows 7 and have been using driver v1.0.2.24. As I mentioned in my previous reply, I had installed the latest driver version from the imaging source website several months ago and it totally screwed up my captures as it would drop 2 out of every 3 frames (dropped frames were black). I tried several recent driver versions, not just the latest, and they exhibited the same problem with dropped frames, so I re-installed the original driver version (1.0.2.24) and it worked fine, except for the live feed freeze up. BTWS, I have also tried different USB cables and they did not fix the problem.

Can you tell me what the first driver version that supports Windows 7 is and how I can download it? Maybe an earlier version driver will work.

Mike

miket2000
June 3, 2015, 03:30:10
Hi Stefan,

I decided to try my DMK41 on a newer Dell Desktop computer that I have that is also running Windows 7 and downloaded and installed the latest USB Drivers and IC Capture 2.4 onto it. When I ran IC Capture with the DMK41 connected, the same dropped frame issue occurred on my desktop computer that occurred on my laptop. I tried several different USB cables as well and the same problem occurred. I am using Y800 codec since my DMK41 is a monochrome camera. Seems I can only solve the dropped frame issue by using the original 1.0.2.24 USB drivers that were on the CDROM that came with my camera. Is this usual? Is there some reason the new USB drivers won't work with my DMK41?

So it seems I now have two issues:

1) Upgrading to newer USB drivers causes dropped frames in recorded AVI file.
2) Live feed and capture freezes when using the camera outside

Maybe these issues are related?

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 3, 2015, 08:36:16
Hello

Dropped frames are caused by the computer. The camera and driver can not drop. You would see damaged images, but no drops. If the AVI file can not be written fast enough or the used codec is too slow, the MJEPG Compressor is such a candidate, then you too less frames in the AVI file.
Use driver 2.7.n, in case you want to avoid blue screens in Windows 7. Windows 7 -> driver 2.7.n

What is the serial number of your camera?

Only outside? What is different? If you do sun observations, I guess, you do not kind of burn the camera, right? The parts inside the camera will have erosion over the time, so may be this is the cause for the disconnect.

I am very sorry for not having a direct solution for your problem, it is simply too rare and random for me.

Stefan Geissler
June 3, 2015, 08:36:16
Hello

Dropped frames are caused by the computer. The camera and driver can not drop. You would see damaged images, but no drops. If the AVI file can not be written fast enough or the used codec is too slow, the MJEPG Compressor is such a candidate, then you too less frames in the AVI file.
Use driver 2.7.n, in case you want to avoid blue screens in Windows 7. Windows 7 -> driver 2.7.n

Only outside? What is different? If you do sun observations, I guess, you do not kind of burn the camera, right? The parts inside the camera will have erosion over the time, so may be this is the cause for the disconnect.

I am very sorry for not having a direct solution for your problem, it is simply too rare and random for me.

miket2000
June 9, 2015, 00:56:15

Hi Stefan,

The Serial Number of my DMK41AU02.AS is 07110255. Is there a known issue with DMK41's of my vintage?

BTWs, I was able to solve the dropped frame issue I was seeing when I downloaded and installed the latest usb drivers and IC Capture 2.4 by upgrading my laptop to a SSD. It has been relatively cool (60-70degF) here lately, so I am not sure if I have solved the live feed freeze up issue or not and won't know until it gets warmer. BTWs, my DMK41 is in pristine condition and was never subjected to freezing or damp conditions that would cause condensation/corrosion.

Thanks again,

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 9, 2015, 10:27:12
Hi Mike

I must say, 4 years is not an age for this camera model. However, there can be a problem with a so called "cold solder point", that looses contact, if the camera warms up.

miket2000
June 16, 2015, 01:15:03
Stefan,

The problem with the live feed freezing occurred again, but this time I decided to tried replacing the USB cable again (this was the third cable I tried) but this time with a thicker, shorter USB cable from an old hard drive and it worked! No more freezes. Apparently, when the black USB cable got very warm in the sunlight, the integrity of the data link was compromised and the live feed would freeze. Before, when I tested the camera and laptop indoors and heated them both with an electric blanket and did not see any freeze ups, it was because I did not heat the USB cable!

So, in summary both issues have been resolved:

1) Dropped frames in capture AVI file due to laptop hard drive not being able to keep up with data from camera.
Resolved by replacing HD in laptop with a Solid State Drive (SSD).

2) Live feed would freeze up when imaging outside in warm temperatures due to faulty USB cable.
Resolved by replacing USB cable with a better quality USB cable.

Thanks again for your help,

Mike