View Full Version : Problem with DMK 41AUC02

October 16, 2014, 11:49:59

I have a problem with the camera DMK 41AUC02. We use it in a machine that our company produces, and it always worked well but on a particular machine is giving troubles.
One problem is that I see some disturbs on the images received as shown on the attached screenshot.
It happens also that randomly it stops working. Some times we solve the problem by restarting our software, sometimes it's necessary to restart the PC.
As said the camera worked well in other machines with the same hardware, so the issue should be not related to the hardware configuration.
Can be a camera problem or the due to the USB cable?

Andrea Schiavinato

Stefan Geissler
October 16, 2014, 12:12:13

No, it is the usual problem of incomplete image data transfer. For getting rid of it you can try the Processor Idle State Manager from http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/details/procidlestateman/ or you assemble an USB 3.0 PCI Express controller into your computer and connect the camera to it.

(Did we not speak yesterday about this? I remember a phone call about this specific task.)

October 16, 2014, 13:44:03

No, I did not speak with you yesterday on the phone.

With this software, the disturbs on the image are disappeared. I'll check if the unreliability problems of the camera are solved too now.

However is strange that the other machines don't have this problem even without Idle State Manager.

Stefan Geissler
October 16, 2014, 13:58:15

It is not the camera that is unreliable. It is the causes by the Idle States of your CPU. It stops the PCI bus and therefore the USB controller will not pick up all data packets from the camera. This leads to a buffer overrun in the camera, because the camera can not stop sending these packages.
The Processor Idle State Manager tells the CPU to not go into idle states.

You may can use lower frame rates too.

October 20, 2014, 08:24:47
Dear Stefan,

The same camera today is giving the disturbs on the image even if we are using Processor Idle State Manager, as shown on the attached screenshot (1734).
At this point can it be a problem of the camera or of the USB Cable?

Stefan Geissler
October 20, 2014, 09:47:48
Hello Andrea

the Processor Idle State Manager has an effect on Intel (R) CPUs only. It has an effect, if the CPU load is below a certain percentage.
If your CPU load is 100%, then you will receive the very same images, because the USB controller will not pick up all images.
In case you use an AMD CPU, the only solution is using an extra USB 3.0 PCI Express board.

What computer model do you use?
Which driver version do you use? The 2.7.9 version does a lot of image processing, which will create CPU load, therefore, v 2.6.5 may is more suitable for your computer.

October 20, 2014, 10:19:26
When having this problem the CPU is not at 100%. Moreover the frame rate of the camera is kept at the minimum.
The driver version shown on device manager, on the camera properties window, is (date : 5/3/2011).
The pc hardware is: Intel core duo 6400 2.13ghz, 4GB, Windows 2003 Server.

Also, this pc is used in a machine that our company produces. We have produced more than 100 machines with this configuration (same hardware, some software, some drivers) and we never had this problem. The problem is happening just on one machine and for this reason I think that it can be some hardware malfunctioning or some strange issue related to the software configuration...

Stefan Geissler
October 20, 2014, 10:42:54

Maybe there is an issue with your USB 2.0 controller? I can guess here only.