PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with iCap, Skyris 132C, and Celestron CPC Deluxe 925 HD

CaptainShark
October 13, 2014, 19:19:47
Greetings, all.

Please accept my sincere apologies for boring you with my rather lame questions. Alas, I have no other choice but to ask them anyway as I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do next to try and solve things myself.

Using the software and equipment as stated above, I am having a very difficult time getting anything that resembles a quality output to my PC. The PC is a rather high-end Samsung ATIV Book 9 with maxed out processor and RAM, running Windows 8.

My main issues are image quality and image size.

Image quality - No matter how much I focus, it just isn't clear. Using my 23 mm, 82 degree Luminos Eyepiece, the image is perfect. I can see almost all of the moon, and the image is crystal clear. Swapping out the eyepiece for the Skyris yields a very zoomed in view (1 or 2 craters) versus almost the whole moon when using the eyepiece. The image is blurry (probably because I am only seeing a couple craters worth, zoomed in like crazy) no matter what I do. Can I fix that using the software?? To mount the Skris, I am using the nosepiece that came with it and using the same exact 1.25" eyepiece holder shown in the Skyris manual. In other words, exactly as shown. (Maybe I have to slide the nosepiece out a bit from the eyepiece holder?)

Image size - The other problem is the size of the viewing window on the PC. It is literally about the size of a book of matches on an otherwise vast space of window. Zooming only make the matchbook larger, and I can see only those 1 or 2 craters. I tried changing the resolution on the PC, but to no real avail. All text, toolbars, and menus are also ridiculously small.

This probably sounds clueless to all of you. I had hoped to be able to use my PC for viewing when I have guests over so we didn't have to take turns. But as it stands, this has been a frustrating mess so far.

Does anyone have any guidance for me? I'd really appreciate the help...

Thank you!

Steve

Stefan Geissler
October 14, 2014, 11:46:30
Hello Steve

first of all, I am not an astronomer, therefore I can tell only, it is not a software and camera problem.

I hope, someone else knows your telescope and can help.

merlin66
October 16, 2014, 07:08:27
I can help!
The problem isn't the camera it's the focal length of the telescope you're using.
If you download the freeware CCDCalc and enter the chip details and your telescope details it will show you the camera field of view.
http://www.newastro.com/book_new/camera_app.html

Think about it general terms that the CCD camera gives a view "similar" to the view you would have with a 6mm eyepiece - hence the two craters rather than the whole moon's disk.
To get a wider field of view you need to use either a reducer (pretty expensive for the HD models!) or use a telescope with a shorter focal length - maybe a ST80 or similar.
Hope this helps.

Cristian Stancu
October 16, 2014, 14:21:04
Hi merlin,

I found your response very helpful to me, I realized that I need a focal reducer, so thanks!

CaptainShark
October 17, 2014, 03:32:57
Wow! Thanks!