PDA

View Full Version : DFK 72AUC02 is in live mode but does not seem to deliver images -after binning change

akhcern
September 24, 2014, 10:37:16
Hello,

Our lab has 4 IS DFK cameras and this problem occurs on most of the PCs when any of the cameras are used. I am pretty sure this has to do with an AMD processor imcompatibility with the DFK camera (or USB interface or camera driver or IC capture software) as I have seem mention of the same problem in the forums. However, I have not seen any description of how to solve the problem. I downloaded the latest camera driver version and the latest IC Capture version and the problem still exists. The symptoms are as follows:
When starting the IC Capture program, it asks to select the camera which is correctly shown in the list. When selected, the video window opens with a resolution of 640x480 and no binning. However, the video window is black and after a while I get the famous "DFKxxx is in live mode..." message. If I switch the resolution to the maximum in RGB32 (2592x1944) then usually it will start working, the video window shows the image. Then, if I ask it to do binning of 2 or if I change the resolution, the window goes black again and I get the "DFKxxx is in live mode..." message. Then, I have to disconnect the USB cable to the camera, which kills the video window and all the settings and restart the IC Capture program in order to get going again. However, this puts the resolution back to 640x480 and a black screen. So, the only way we can use this camera at all is in its full resolution mode which gives a very painful 6fps max. We dont need the full resolution except occasionally but we would like a higher frame rate. But this is not possible. This seems to be a long standing problem with the DFK range of IS cameras and I would like to know if the problem has been solved and if so, please post the solution. I am currently using an HP Compaq DC5850 PC with an AMD Phenom 9600B quad-core processor 2.3GHz, 2GB ram, Windows7 enterprise. As this is the "standard" PC that was used by our lab at the time of purchase, I have no choice in the PC specs. As given in the title, the camera we are using is the DFK 72AUC02. We have installed the Imaging Source "Processor Idle State Manager" program as that was mentioned as a possible fix in these forums, but it clearly does not solve our problem. Please advise what we can do to use all the resolution possibilities and to be able to use binning on our camera. Thanks for your help.

Stefan Geissler
September 24, 2014, 14:33:19
Hello

The Processor Idle State Manager wont fix your problem, because it has an effect on Intel CPUs only.

As far as we know, the problem is caused by the AMD hardware. It's SouthBridge interrupts the USB 2.0 data transfer in regular intervals. This leads to a buffer overrun of not picked up data blocks in the camera, which causes a frame drop and the famous error message.

One solution is setting a lower frame rate, after you enabled binning.
Another solution is using an PCIe USB 3.0 controller in your computer. I have some reports, this solved the issue on AMD hardware, but I never tried this on my own.

akhcern
September 25, 2014, 11:35:48
Hello Stefan,

Thank you for the reply. I tried your idea to lower the frame rate after enabling binning but what happens is that as soon as I enable binning, the camera is running (even if I stop Live mode, it restarts automatically) and then fails to send the image to the program (black screen). So, by the time I lower the frame rate, it is too late. Is there any way to keep the camera from going Live by itself after you change any of the camera controls? It will go Live if you change the resolution, the binning, or even the frame rate.

What is interesting is that the program starts in Live mode with 640x480 resolution and is showing a black screen. If I switch to max resoution quickly (within about 5 seconds), it will start to work. Then, the only change that does not cause a black screen and the error message is if I reduce the frame rate. Any other change will cause the black screen and then the error message. If I do nothing at the start, after about 5 seconds I get the error message and cannot do anything else to get the camera working. If I do get the black screen and error message, the only way to get a video signal again is to unplug and replug the USB cable and then restart (click "new" in the file menu) the video window. \

If I can be sure the PCIe USB3 controller would work, I would try that. However, it seems that this problem should be fixable or at least a workaround should be found. There are many AMD processors in use and getting a new PC seem an extreme "fix".

Best regards, Alan

Stefan Geissler
September 25, 2014, 12:24:17
Hello Alan

Changing the frame rate stops and starts the live stream internally.

You could install IC Imaging Control SDK and use the Sample Demo Application. It allows to configure the completely before the live video is started at all.

If I can be sure the PCIe USB3 controller would work

Give it a try.

However, it seems that this problem should be fixable or at least a workaround should be found.

There is not good workaround, because the hardware combination of camera and AMD does not work very well.

There are many AMD processors in use and getting a new PC seem an extreme "fix".

We know this issue for many years now and therefore have no more AMD hardware in our labs.

akhcern
October 1, 2014, 10:32:59
Hello Stefan, thanks for your reply. In fact I ordered a PCIe USB3 controller for our AMD PC and it does indeed work! No more frozen camera problems and we can choose whatever resolution and binning we want. Since these are relatively cheap, it solves my problem without having to replace all our AMD PCs. So, we are happy. One remark: it might be useful to include with the instructions/warnings that come with these cameras that have this problem, a warning about using the camera with an AMD based PC and what are the possible workarounds. It could save people like me a lot of trouble since I did not find this forum for some time and it took quite a lot of searching in the forum to find out that there was a known problem with AMD PCs and these cameras.

Best regards and thank you again,
Alan.

Stefan Geissler
October 1, 2014, 11:37:07
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your good news.

I already told marketing about the AMD issues.