PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with setting long exposures with DMK-41AG02.AS

Gorgo13
July 24, 2014, 20:03:25
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I've developed an application for a scientific telescope in Antarctica. We're using and USB DMK-41AG02.AS camera mounted on a widefield finder.

I found that the mechanism for setting camera properties was pretty complex compared to what I'm used to (commercial astronomical CCD cameras). I browsed the forum and found some piece of code to set the exposure time to "long" exposures (>1s, possibly 1 minute), but it does not seem to work.

Can you please provide some lines of C++ code that could do the trick?...

Thanks in advance.

L. Abe

PS: Now the telescope is running remotely during the permanent winter time at the Dome C/Concordia Station, but we can access the control PC remotely and make some updates.

Stefan Geissler
July 25, 2014, 08:06:27
Hello Abe

the code you found in the forum worked for the user, I posted it to. Therefore, we should clarify first, what you did, which results you achieved and whether there have been error messages.

You should make sure, you disabled the exposure automatic, otherwise you can not set any values manually.

Gorgo13
July 25, 2014, 09:57:32
Hello Stefan,

thanks for your reply. After posting I actually realized that the Camera Exposure range failed to be retrieved (I made some updates with 3.3 these days). Even in IC Capture, the exposure is locked to 1/8s with no possibility to change this setting. I also realized that I gave a wrong info: my camera is a GigE camera, not an USB one (but I guess you figured it out).

I guess this is a driver/software issue. One thing I did not do is rebooting my system after making the update (because for such a remote place I want to avoid rebooting a working PC!)

The update I'm talking about is:
gigecam_setup.exe (v2.1.0.1866)
v3.3.0.1916 (ic3.3setup.exe)

EDIT: the returned range for the Camera_Exposure is min:-13.000 max:-2147483648.000(!) (other properties like the gain are correctly returned).
And yes, the Automatic setting is disabled (as I said, the problem also occurs in ICCapture).

Thanks for your help.

Lyu ABE.

Stefan Geissler
July 25, 2014, 11:15:21
Hi Lyu

the value -13 is unexpected, because IC Imaging Control 3.0 is not expected to use the "physical values" interface. This points me to a similar problem, we had on some computers, where a Creative Labs webcam live or a Logitec software was installed. They simply changed the properties of the camera and often generated a bluescreen. Please check, whether such software is installed and uninstall it.

Gorgo13
July 25, 2014, 11:32:38
Hi again,

Okay, I'm going to check that asap and post the latest developments...

Thank you.

Gorgo13
July 25, 2014, 11:46:44
Stefan,

I just checked for the kind of software/HW you mentioned, but did not find any.

What I did not mention is that when I was on-site last January and started the code development for that auxiliary camera, the IC Capture seemed to work properly. But at that time I did not figure out exactly how to handle the camera exposure programming things.

Then just a few days ago I made several tests and checked the forum (what I did not do until now) while making code changes at the same time. That's where I decided to make driver updates.

What if I de-install the latest driver and use the former one and an older version of ICCapture? (is there any reason why this could not work?)

Lyu

Stefan Geissler
July 25, 2014, 13:02:55
Hello Lyu

I use the very same driver for a long time without any problems.

I am not sure what is causing the problem, but I think a restart of the camera and computer may helps. Restarting the camera means unpowering it, which means you have to go on-site.

I would like you to create a support request at http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/company/contact/ .

Gorgo13
July 25, 2014, 13:13:13
Yes okay I will restart the computer and the camera (there are 13 people there who "winter-overing", i.e. who are spending 1 full year since last November!) and see if this fixes the problem.

I will apply to the support request as you asked.

Thank you and I'll keep you informed.

Gorgo13
July 25, 2014, 14:29:16
Okay, I restarted the PC and the camera remotely.

Now the exposure time is locked to 0.0333s (1/30s) and still not possible to change it. The "VCDListProperty" sample tells me "Error setting property" if I try to change the slider of the Exposure value.

I think I'll try to uninstall the 3.3 drivers and get back to the old one.

Lyu