PDA

View Full Version : DMM 42BUC03-ML and Strobe

nikkadim
March 24, 2014, 22:42:22
Is it possible using IC Capture 2.3 get the output signal from DMM 42BUC03-ML equal Exposure Windows? If, yes, could you please point how?
Thanks.

Stefan Geissler
March 25, 2014, 09:05:11
Hello

I must admit, I do no understand your question. What do you mean by "Exposure Windows"?

Thank you in advance!

nikkadim
March 25, 2014, 16:52:56
Hello

I must admit, I do no understand your question. What do you mean by "Exposure Windows"?

Thank you in advance!

I would like to get pulse from camera equal exposure, during capture images. Or read-out time (camera busy signal)?
Thank you.

PS: "Exposure Windows" = pulse with width equal real camera exposure.

Stefan Geissler
March 25, 2014, 17:47:57
Do you mean "Strobe"? I think, this is, what you mean.

The camera has a strobe output. It is an Open Drain output. You have to create some electronics to handle it. Please check in IC Capture the strobe modes: If the strobe should be set as long as the sensor exposes, the strobe mode must be set to "Exposure". I am not right sure, whether the camera supports this mode. Therefore, please check in IC Capture.

For doing so, click the "Device" menu, select "Properties" and in the now displaying property dialog click on the "Special" tab. Then you should see the strobe control.

nikkadim
March 25, 2014, 22:44:59
Do you mean "Strobe"? I think, this is, what you mean.

The camera has a strobe output. It is an Open Drain output. You have to create some electronics to handle it. Please check in IC Capture the strobe modes: If the strobe should be set as long as the sensor exposes, the strobe mode must be set to "Exposure". I am not right sure, whether the camera supports this mode. Therefore, please check in IC Capture.

For doing so, click the "Device" menu, select "Properties" and in the now displaying property dialog click on the "Special" tab. Then you should see the strobe control.

Thank you for your answer Stefan,
But I can't find any Strobe settings in IC Capture 2.3, could you please point where this settings could be?

Stefan Geissler
March 26, 2014, 09:02:31
Interesting. Please let me know the serial number of your camera.
The camera should have these properties:

DMK 42BUC03
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Property Type Minimum Maximum Default
Gain
Value Range 34 255 34
Auto Switch
Exposure
Value Range -13 4 -6
Value Absolute Value 0,0001 30 0,0127
Auto Switch
AutoReference Range 0 255 128
AutoMaxValue Range 1 300000 333
AutoMaxValue Absolute Value 0,0001 30 0,0333
Auto Switch
Trigger
Value Switch
SoftwareTrigger Button
GPIO
GPIN Range 0 1 0
Read Button
GPOut Range 0 1 0
Write Button
Partialscan
Auto-center Switch
XOffset Range 0 1280 0
YOffset Range 0 960 0
Strobe
Value Switch
Mode Map String
Polarity Switch

There is no "Special" tap in the properties dialog?

nikkadim
March 26, 2014, 13:52:53
Interesting. Please let me know the serial number of your camera.
The camera should have these properties:
[...skiped...]
There is no "Special" tap in the properties dialog?

I did try 42BUC03 with S/N's: 25310237, 25310238, 25310251, 25310242, 25310246, 25310250.
The property dialog in v2.3 looks like 1678

PS: Different question, but I also do not understand why for B/W camera IC Capture list RGB modes: 1679

Stefan Geissler
March 26, 2014, 14:45:25
1.) Strobe:
I checked your firmware version with driver version 2.4.14 and 2.6.5: Both show the strobe properties. Do you use one of these versions?
(http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/)

2.) RGB Format:
Easy answer: Programs like AxioVision of Zeiss can handle this format only. It can not handle Y800. Since we provide RGB24 for our mono cameras, more third party software can use them

nikkadim
March 27, 2014, 14:36:47
1.) Strobe:
I checked your firmware version with driver version 2.4.14 and 2.6.5: Both show the strobe properties. Do you use one of these versions?
(http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/)

The driver version is 2.6.5, proof: 1680 OS: Win7 x64 Professional. All cameras connected to USB3 ports.

Stefan Geissler
March 27, 2014, 14:53:24
Did you change the firmware of the camera?

nikkadim
March 28, 2014, 18:12:25
Yes, I did. I'have used the last one dmk42uc03_143.euvc (inf proprietary mode) from your github repo.

Stefan Geissler
March 31, 2014, 09:07:15
Aha. If you had let me know before, we would have saved a lot of time.

I am not sure, if strobe is supported by the Linux UVC firmware. If so, you must use the UVC Extension.

nikkadim
March 31, 2014, 14:58:28
Wait, I did not switch camera to UVC mode.
I continue to use proprietary mode under Win7.

Stefan Geissler
March 31, 2014, 15:15:47
But you wrote the UVC firmware into the camera. The firmware for Windows was V 135. The firmware from the github is for use in Linux via V4L driver.
If you use Windows, why did you change the firmware?

nikkadim
March 31, 2014, 17:10:26
But you wrote the UVC firmware into the camera. The firmware for Windows was V 135. The firmware from the github is for use in Linux via V4L driver.
If you use Windows, why did you change the firmware?

First of all, because with last firmware it works much stable under Windows7, and since you have no release notes for camera firmware at all, I suspect the latest firmware should have latest fixes.
And also, there are no notes/warnings - that if I'll use this firmware I'll lose ability to use this camera in Windows, or lose some functionality.
Where I can get Windows firmware for this cameras and for others? We have a lot of DMM 22BUC03-ML, 42BUC03-ML and 72BUC02-ML and we have to switch between different projects from Windows to Linux.

Thank you.

Stefan Geissler
March 31, 2014, 17:35:06
Please create a request at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

I will send you a firmware update program fpr Windows for your 42 camera model.

nikkadim
April 1, 2014, 18:47:33
Please create a request at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

I will send you a firmware update program fpr Windows for your 42 camera model.

Thank you, have opened case #320728 yesterday.

Stefan Geissler
April 2, 2014, 09:41:48
I have sent the updates to you.

For the future: Please do not write a firmware into a camera, if you do not know, what you are doing. I will ask my colleagues to make a big line "for cameras in Linux only" at https://github.com/TheImagingSource/tiscamera/tree/master/tools/firmware-update.

nikkadim
April 2, 2014, 14:30:18
I have sent the updates to you.

For the future: Please do not write a firmware into a camera, if you do not know, what you are doing. I will ask my colleagues to make a big line "for cameras in Linux only" at https://github.com/TheImagingSource/tiscamera/tree/master/tools/firmware-update.

Thank you.
Will be nice to have brief description (release note) what each firmware update doing, it's common practice.

nikkadim
April 3, 2014, 16:44:26
Interesting fact, for 72BUC02 with Linux firmware v158 under Win7 I'm still able to use Strobe in exposure mode, and more over I've got additional settings for Global Shutter despite the fact that according spec (http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/products/oem-cameras/usb-cmos-mono/dmm72buc02ml/) this camera can work only in Rolling Shutter. Could you please comment his?

Windows f/w v140:
http://nikk.hosting.ru/140.png

Linux f/w v158:
http://nikk.hosting.ru/158.png

Stefan Geissler
April 8, 2014, 10:45:12
Now you lost me.

Did you not complain, you had no strobe?

nikkadim
April 8, 2014, 14:49:52
Now you lost me.

Did you not complain, you had no strobe?

Yes, now I have a strobe even with Linux firmware. And the trick was in USB3 drivers. You have to recommend your customers uninstall previous windows version of driver (via Device Manager) before install new one, it really helps to get stable camera behaviour on hi-resolution and also get Strobe settings even with latest Linux firmware.

But now my question is about Global Shutter settings (see above). Thank you.

Stefan Geissler
April 8, 2014, 15:41:14
Aha, thank you for pointing me to this.

However. the Global Shutter Reset is indeed possible with later firmware. It works in the way, you describe in in another thread of this forum. It was an internal hardware change. Since the driver simply reads the camera properties, it shows this property too. The marketing sometimes is not faster than engineers. Therefore, this is missing on the website.