PDA

View Full Version : ASCOM v6.1 IVideo Driver?

dwsubc
March 7, 2014, 12:49:47
ASCOM v6.1 has a new interface for astro video cameras as described here:

http://www.ascom-standards.org/Help/Platform/html/T_ASCOM_DeviceInterface_IVideo.htm

Is there an Imaging Source ASCOM driver for this new interface or is one in development?

Dave

Stefan Geissler
March 7, 2014, 16:09:53
Hello Dave,

I am very sorry, but currently, there is no ASCOM support in work.

dwsubc
March 8, 2014, 12:07:36
Hi Stefan,

That's a shame. I have used the ASCOM framework a lot and it really makes things easier for developers. For instance, all telescopes can be controlled with a common command set so I don't need to write specific low level code for each scope.

Maybe some independent developer will produce a TIS ASCOM driver - fingers crossed.

Dave

Stefan Geissler
March 10, 2014, 07:54:44
Dave,

I am very sorry, but I simply have not the time to write an ASCOM driver and the hardware and driver programmers are also bound to other projects.

merlin66
March 11, 2014, 08:57:50
What about the dedicated TIS astro cameras sold through Celestron?
The astro market I'm sure will put pressure on Celestron to accommodate ASCOM standards....does that fall back to you or do Celestron pick up the work??

Stefan Geissler
March 11, 2014, 12:47:00
Hello

since the same people are involved into the Celestron cameras, the answer is the same as last time. Sorry for that. However, maybe the Celestron people will do this. Here, we have no resources for this right now. I am very sorry for this.

Jeff Dickerman
March 24, 2015, 18:31:08
Hello

since the same people are involved into the Celestron cameras, the answer is the same as last time. Sorry for that. However, maybe the Celestron people will do this. Here, we have no resources for this right now. I am very sorry for this.

Stefan, we are working on a project that requires an ASCOM camera driver. I wish to use my Skyris camera for testing and will develop an ASCOM driver in-house. Do you provide an SDK or documentation that might help us in our efforts?

Please feel free to email me privately - jeff@optecinc.com

Thanks for your help,
Jeff Dickerman
Optec, Inc.

Stefan Geissler
March 25, 2015, 10:37:39
Hi Jeff,

the SDK is IC Imaging Control. It can be downloaded from free from http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/
It installs a documentation and samples too.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

angelfj1
May 11, 2016, 14:43:07
Dave,

I am very sorry, but I simply have not the time to write an ASCOM driver and the hardware and driver programmers are also bound to other projects.

I have been following this thread for some time and I appreciate your attempts to explain TIS's failure to address the requests of their loyal supporters. TIS is not a small struggling firm. Considering the probable thousands of avid amateur astronomers who have purchased your cameras, ignoring something as relevant as an ASCOM Driver is hard to believe. Your management should loosen up a few euros and develop a proper ASCOM driver. Failure to do so is nothing but stubborn indifference! When and if interest in your astronomy line ceases to exist, don't be surprised.

Sincerely,

FJ Angelini PE
Chester County Astronomical Society
West Chester, PA USA