PDA

View Full Version : DMK 23GP031 GigE Camera won't work with Matlab

jimmymc
October 23, 2013, 22:19:57
I'm using the following..
DMK 23GP031 GIGE camera
Matlab R2013b with Image Acquisition Toolbox
Windows 7 64 bit

The camera appears in the Image Acquisition app, but captures no frames in preview or acquire modes and hangs the computer (Ctl Alt Del doesn't work!).

Tried installing the TIS driver for GIGE cameras. Now the camera appears as Gige or Winvideo. It still doesn't capture, but it doesn't hang Windows.

Tried installing the TISIMAQ plugin. Trying to start through tisimaq, Matlab crashes "MATLAB has encountered an internal problem and needs to close."

Tried disabling the firewall. Tried connecting through a router, and also direct to the PC with only a Gige switch.

I have a Basler camera that works fine with Matlab using the same network connections.

The TIS CD is at another site, so I have not tried using TIS software yet. Will do that ASAP.

Any suggestions?

Stefan Geissler
October 24, 2013, 08:59:29
Hello

First guess: Does the green LED on the camera light? If not, then you do not use a GigE connection and the camera wont provide images.

jimmymc
October 24, 2013, 15:45:31
Update:

After installing IC Capture, the camera works with MATLAB, but only through winvideo. The Gige instance still does not capture, and the tisimaq instance still crashes Matlab.

So I can do something, but of course the winvideo interface is very limited in access to camera settings (I need binning).

So, yes, the LED comes on and I do have GigE. The camera works in IC Capture, with all settings accessible, so this is a MATLAB interface issue.

Stefan Geissler
October 24, 2013, 17:02:32
Does the Image Acquisition Toolbox have a native GigE Vision support? Did you try this?

What is the serialnumber of your camera?

jimmymc
October 25, 2013, 17:27:31
Camera: DMK 23GP031, Ser: 35310154

The camera always works with IC Capture.

In the Matlab Image Acquisition Tool, it appears as a native GigE, tisimaq, and winvideo devices. When I open the Gige or winvideo device, I can set properties, and see a preview window, but no frames are acquired (no preview image at all). Selecting the tisimaq device always crashes Matlab, so I'm guessing you haven't tested that with 2013b yet.

Yesterday, it worked for a while in winvideo only, but today it does not - so that's still unreliable.

I am using a TrendNet TPE-TG44g gigabit switch connected directly to the PC and the camera. I have tried it connected to a router (with DHCP) and directly connected with a fixed IP on the PC.

Again, I have a Basler Gige camera that works all the time in native Gige mode with Matlab, so this looks like perhaps the TIS camera is not compatible with the current version of Matlab. Have you tested with 2013b at all?

Added... We have tried this camera on a Linux PC as well, again using Matlab 2013b and get the same results.

Added... Just tried it with 32 bit Matlab R2007b. Camera only appears as winvideo and preview does not acquire. I registered tisimaq and it does not crash this version of Matlab, but VideoResolution is 0,0. So it's not working with this old Matlab either.

Stefan Geissler
November 5, 2013, 09:48:35
Sorry for not answering last week, I was ill.

Here are my results with Matlab R2013b
1.) TISIMAQ does not work. Matlab changed the interface, but did not let us know about this, also I found no change documentation.
2.) Winvideo works fine on my computer. (Windows 7, Core i7, running in a virtual machine)
3.) Matlab GigE Vision is more complicated.
- set the PacketSize to 1482 or 2986 bytes. Then you get rid of the "Failed to set PacketSize" message
- I got a black image only, but I do not know why. We are investigating, but this needs a lot of time (I know, you have a deadline)

I will try to get the TISIMAQ for Matlab running for R2013b by this week, but I can not promise, whether I can finish it on time.

jimmymc
November 5, 2013, 13:16:10
Stefan,

Thanks for the reply - I hope you are feeling better.

You have duplicated my experience with MATLAB, except that winvideo only works sometimes for me and seems to be reliable for you. Also, I have to set the PacketSize to 9014 to match my NIC jumbo size, to clear that error. Yours jumbo size must be different.

My client must decide whether we can wait for a solution.

Stefan Geissler
November 5, 2013, 14:01:50
The PacketSize can be set to 2986 as maximum, the camera does not support bigger values.

Stefan Geissler
November 6, 2013, 17:22:51
Just to keep you informed:

I got the tisimaq in R2013b working. Properties and image are shown.
There are some minor problems to fix. Maybe on Friday I have a beta version.

Stefan Geissler
November 12, 2013, 13:06:44
I have finished a beta version of the Matlab R2013b plugin. I can send it to you, if you create a support case at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

The current version is 32bit only. I am missing the Matlab 64bit libraries.

There is one open point: The IMAQ Toolbox does not support dynamically changed properties. That means, the GP031 has no frame rates right now. I could use the frame rates, that are available for the shown video formats, but as soon as you use an ROI, they are invalid. Using them in this situation can lead to errors.

Other changes are:
The video format type (Y800, RGB24, RGB32 and Y16) will create Matlab image buffers with the correct byte count per pixel:

Y800 -> Mono8
RGB24 -> RGB 24 packed
RGB32 -> RGB 32 packed
Y16 -> Mono16. (Keep in mind: Only the upper 12 bits are valid. The lower 3 bits must be ignored.)

jimmymc
November 12, 2013, 16:26:17
Support case tracking number is: 305948

lebrunjm
November 15, 2013, 05:54:19
Support case tracking number is: 305948

Stefan,

I am posting a similar issue I have with a DMK23G274 GigE Camera.

I am using a 64 bits windows 8 computer with Matlab R2013a and the Image Acquisition tool box. I am also using the TIS driver (v1.2.0.1107) for GigE Camera and the IC matlab plugin (TISimaq Matlab R2010).

First the camera works perfectly fine with the IC Capture Software. Winvideo works also fine with the Imaq tool box. But I face a problem when I want to use it as GigE. I can access the device properties and set the packet size as 1482 or 2986 bytes to get rid of the "Failed to set Packet Size" message. But when I want to start an acquisition the Image acquisition tool box fails logging the frames.

I guess the problem is similar to the one posted here. Or do you have any other suggestion? Do you think you will be able to provide an updated plugin for the 64 bit version (I can upgrade to Matlab R2013b if necessary)?

Regards,

Jean-Marie.

Stefan Geissler
November 15, 2013, 10:15:03
Jean-Marie,

First of all, TISimaq Matlab R2010 will cause an access violation in Matlab R2013b. At least, it did on my computer.

Secondly: Yes, it is correct, the Matlab GigE Vision wont provide images with our cameras. We are still investigating, but are running out of time.

Third:
The TISIMAQ for Matlab R2013b 64 bit is ready to be tested and used. I would like you to create a request at http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/company/contact/, so I can send it by email to you.