PDA

View Full Version : hot pixels?

jlegere
October 9, 2013, 08:45:10
This is a 1 second exposure taken at room temperature ( camera warmer obviously ). Gain was turned off. Is this number of hot pixels normal in a dark frame exposure? I don;t see me being able to guide with this many false stars. It looks like a regular shot of the night sky already. (Anyone want to make some new constellations? JK)

Just wondering if this is going to be useful to me at all. Any longer exposures look like look like snow on a tv that lost it's bunny ears.

Stefan Geissler
October 9, 2013, 09:19:27
Hello

Unfortunately you did not let me know, which camera model is in use.

However, 1 second exposure generates more hot pixels, than you can see at 1/30 second exposure time. CMOS sensors will show more of them, than CCD sensor.s

jlegere
October 9, 2013, 20:19:48
Hello

Unfortunately you did not let me know, which camera model is in use.

However, 1 second exposure generates more hot pixels, than you can see at 1/30 second exposure time. CMOS sensors will show more of them, than CCD sensor.s

this was from the 23gp031.
I have never had a camera with this many hot pixels.

Stefan Geissler
October 10, 2013, 08:59:34
Hi,

Its a CMOS sensor. I do not know, which cameras you had before, therefore compare them is a little bit hard for me. I am sorry for that.

Also one second exposure time will amplify hot pixels. Therefore, I mentioned 1/30 exposure time.

At least: The 23GP031 is an industrial camera. We never recommended this camera for astronomical purposes, because we are aware of the hot pixels.

jlegere
October 10, 2013, 09:29:49
The 23GP031 is an industrial camera. We never recommended this camera for astronomical purposes, because we are aware of the hot pixels.

Interesting that your saleswoman failed to state that it was unsuitable for astrophotography as that was the purpose we were discussing it for.

Stefan Geissler
October 10, 2013, 12:01:25
Who was the saleswoman?
Did you ask for astronomy camera?

However, I am very sorry for that failure.

Stefan Geissler
October 10, 2013, 14:55:39
I may should add: Please go in contact with the office, where you purchased the camera.

jlegere
October 10, 2013, 18:32:05
It was straight from TIS. shelby.leeman@theimagingsource.com

we even discussed how the binning would be useful in astroimaging. That was why I chose the cmos version. and gigE for the remote use.

Stefan Geissler
October 11, 2013, 08:56:17
I am sorry for that. She was very new in the company and did not know better. However, she also is no longer in the company (but for other reason). Please go in contact with the Charlotte office.