PDA

View Full Version : Support for DFK 72AUC02-F and Gumstix

Nick666
October 6, 2013, 14:03:03
Hi there,

I'm wondering if it is possible to get the 72AUC02-F to work with Gumstix Overo (Yocto and 3.5-Kernel)?
Are there any experiences with this combination?

Thanks in advance and greetings

Nick

Stefan Geissler
October 7, 2013, 11:22:55
Hello Nick

Unfortunately we have no experiences with Gumstix Overo

However, our idea is, to follow an open approach (as it is typical for Linux) instead of "putting the customer in chains" with proprietary drivers and SDKs.

Therefore, our USB cameras are compatible to the open standard UVC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_class

Please find more details about UVC and Linux at

http://code.google.com/p/tiscamera/

tjannan
October 7, 2013, 23:10:31
Hi Nick,

You may have luck asking the Gumstix mailing list for help. They may not be familiar with the specific product, but there's enough open standard here that someone may have done something similar.

You can get on the list here: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users

Tim

Nick666
October 11, 2013, 10:03:54
Thank you very much for your answers!

UVC seems to be a first step in the right direction. I see the corresponding kernel modules loaded on my overo distro. But this needs further investigations.

Best rergards
Nick

Nick666
October 21, 2013, 16:00:12
Maybe this is interesting for someone:
I can confirm the DFK 72AUC02-F modul ist working with Gumstix/Yocto basically with the UVC-Firmware loaded into the module.

but before I dig any further, can someone confirm/confute my findings:
The module has to be switched to UVC-Mode to work under linux. But in this mode, autofocus is not working any more? And what about those modes like binning and resolution?
It seems that you only can set gain and exposure in "linux mode", is this correct?

Best regards
Nick

Stefan Geissler
October 21, 2013, 17:02:00
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your feedback.

The automatics as gain, exposure, white balance and auto focus are done in the Windows driver, not in the camera.
I never used the camera on my own in Linux, therefore I can not answer your question completely, but it sounds correct to me, that you can handle at least gain and exposure. However, you should be able to set focus too, but I must admit, I do not know, how to do this in Linux. I asked the engineers already and wait for an answer.

Nick666
October 23, 2013, 11:09:36
I played around a bit and found out that in fact all automatics are not available in UVC-mode. At least you can set Gain/Exposure/Resolution and Binning manually.
Even worse I couldn't find a capability to control the focus, not to mention a autofocus feature.
Sad but true, but thank you very much for your support!

Best regards
Nick

Stefan Geissler
October 23, 2013, 12:32:54
Nick,

setting focus manually should work, even if I do not know how, since I do not use Linux at all. But I asked the engineers and got not answer right now. I am not allowed to speak directly with them, therefore, this takes some time,

The autofocus is done in the Windows driver, not in the camera. The camera has no own automatics at all.