PDA

View Full Version : Dismantle Camera to remove IR filter

AstroOlly
April 13, 2013, 17:33:31
Does anybody have ant experience of removing the IR filter from IS DFK21 Colour camera?? if so how does it come out, easy or not?

Olly

AstroOlly
April 16, 2013, 17:59:06
Well i bit the bullet and did it myself, and it was easy unlike Stefan said, he said out of 10, 10 being very difficult it would be a 9, well i can say it was a 3 at most Stefan

Olly

Stefan Geissler
April 17, 2013, 09:16:10
Hi Olly,

Well, I am working for the camera manufacturer and I have to point to possible risks, so it is not possible to blame me, if I told, there are no problems. From my point of view, there are issues with focus, if lenses instead of telescopes are used. I have no own experiences with telescopes.

Good to read, you got the job done.

asimov
May 13, 2013, 01:12:43
I'd give it a 1 out of 10 personally.

blakebart
September 7, 2015, 23:31:03

I've attached a series of photographs that show the steps to take apart the camera to remove the IR cut filter. It's quite easy, just need a Philips head screwdriver to remove the rear plate where the USB socket is, a 4mm socket to remove the standoffs, and I suggest using a grounded wrist strap and grounded ESD matt when handling the circuit boards. I also recommend drawing a line with a Sharpie on the outer housing and the first board which contains the imaging chip to make sure you get the orientation right. In another post it was noted taking apart the camera and reassembling would result in a misaligned imaging chip. In taking apart the camera there is no means for making any mechanical adjustment to how the circuit board containing the imaging chip is attached to the forward frame that holds the "snout." The alignment of the chip is dependent on how it was soldered onto the board. If you assemble everything back into the case as it was originally installed there will be no problem.

The IR cut filter is glued into the outer shell, and can be easily knocked out with blunt instrument, I used the bottom end of my Sharpie and whacked that puppy out!

Blake