PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing Driver and connecting Camera DFK 41F02

collaredkeeper
November 16, 2012, 21:11:57
Hello,

First time here. Just bought a Imaging Source Camera DFK 41F02 off an online auction. The camera is in brand-new condition and just now trying to figure out how to set it up to my Macbook Pro 2010 Laptop running Windows 7 via bootcamp.

I have been sitting here for a bout a few hours now with no luck on getting my laptop to recognize the device, after installing the IC Capture. When trying to install the Driver for Firewire cameras, I cannot get past the first step of "Connect Device".

I have looked all over the web, read http://www.theimagingsource.com/downloads/fwacccamswopsuwp.en_US.pdf & http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C2F87C32F5627A0A862569E5006C17C4 and still don't see anywhere that clearly states the problem. I am not sure if my macbook provides the power, but the red light on the back of the camera comes on when plugged in (which again I have no clue what it means after searching throughout this site).

Right now I am using a 9pin-6pin firewire cable and trying to install v4.4.0.1 of the driver software. I switch the 1394 driver in the device manager to legacy and still had no luck.

Also, the firewire camera has two firewire ports in the back, are these meant for anything specific? Can one be used for power supply and another to the laptop? Would a firewire to usb adapter work?

Again just having a problem getting the camera to be recognized by the laptop. Will try on desktop to see if it helps at all,

thanks,
Tony

Stefan Geissler
November 19, 2012, 10:30:05
Hi Tony,

I am very sorry, but your "brand-new condition" camera is a few years old. We do not build this camera since many years any more. Also I am not sure, but I think, the Mac provides too high voltage for this camera.

At least, for this old model is no Windows 7 driver available.

collaredkeeper
November 20, 2012, 18:31:02
Hi Tony,

I am very sorry, but your "brand-new condition" camera is a few years old. We do not build this camera since many years any more. Also I am not sure, but I think, the Mac provides too high voltage for this camera.

At least, for this old model is no Windows 7 driver available.

That's alright. Is there anyway I can get the camera to work or is there software I can download for earlier windows? I bought it used hoping I could hook it up to a telescope, but again not sure if I would need to download something special or update the cameras firmware.

I did plug it in and it was recognized on a windows xp computer (although not with the IC software), where I could see a rather confusing video output with many black/green lines running through it. Again not sure if this is something that can be changed to make it more of a webcam of sorts.

thanks,
Tony

Stefan Geissler
November 21, 2012, 09:22:18
Tony,

does the camera work on the Windows XP at this point of time?

collaredkeeper
November 21, 2012, 18:33:08
Tony,

does the camera work on the Windows XP at this point of time?

The camera does work, I plugged it into a Desktop computer running windows xp. The light on the back went green and although the IC software could not "find" the camera, I was able to get the video to show using the device manager. The video was out of focus and looked like it was programmed for macro work with green and black lines covering the video, but the video was working.

I don't think it's a faulty camera, it just might be setup for a different purpose. Is it possible to reformat the camera or even send it in to have it set back to default for use on a telescope? Was really hoping that I could figure out some way to get it to work as the camera has the best specs on the market and the camera is in absolutely excellent condition.

Here is a blurry picture of the camera if it helps. It has 2 firewire ports on the back and came with a lens attached.
1531 I can take a better picture if you want later tonight.

Take care

Stefan Geissler
November 22, 2012, 08:51:21
Did you try the driver from http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/?

collaredkeeper
November 24, 2012, 09:45:29
Did you try the driver from http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/?

Yes I tried using the v4.4.0.1 Device Driver for The Imaging Source FireWire Cameras

perhaps I am using the wrong driver?

Stefan Geissler
November 26, 2012, 12:40:06
Well,

as I already pointed out, this camera is very old. So the current driver does not work with this camera at all.

However, the camera was provided with a software CD, when it was delivered. On this CD should be a valid driver for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I do not think, this old driver will run in Windows 7, because we had to adapt the driver to Windows 7.

Since I do not have any item of this model on my own, I can not check it with the current driver.

I think, you bought the camera second hand, so you may ask the camera seller for the software.

collaredkeeper
December 28, 2012, 20:40:52
Well,

as I already pointed out, this camera is very old. So the current driver does not work with this camera at all.

However, the camera was provided with a software CD, when it was delivered. On this CD should be a valid driver for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I do not think, this old driver will run in Windows 7, because we had to adapt the driver to Windows 7.

Since I do not have any item of this model on my own, I can not check it with the current driver.

I think, you bought the camera second hand, so you may ask the camera seller for the software.

The Camera isn't terribly old, it is only about 6 years and should still be able to function with the proper drivers. I understand that the new drivers would never work with this camera, but there still must be the DFK 41F02 driver available for windows xp. Would the imaging source be able to provide the older driver or do you happen to know somewhere I can download it (I have searched extensively with no luck). I have windows xp available so not concerned with running it on windows 7.

Also one last question. Will the device only power up with a green light when plugged into a computer with an older operating system? Whenever I try to plug it into a computer the back led lights up red (except on a computer running xp). I thought it may because the ccd is not receiving enough power so I purchased a belkin power hub, but it still turns red on all computers but the one running xp.

Sorry for the hassle, just really want to get the camera to work.
Tony

EDIT: DFK 41F02 Serial Number: 21400096

collaredkeeper
December 29, 2012, 06:25:41
The Camera isn't terribly old, it is only about 6 years and should still be able to function with the proper drivers. I understand that the new drivers would never work with this camera, but there still must be the DFK ....

I able to get it to work! For those who may have had the same problem, what I needed to do was have it run on windows xp. The most important part is that you need to download the driver for 41f02 cameras which I have attached with this post. They are old archived drivers so again, just worth making the devices usable again.

These drivers are used to run the Imaging Source cameras:
DMK 21F04, DBK 21F04, DFK 21F04 DFK 31F03, DFK 41F04
New driver for XP - ServicePack2
NewDriver.zip
Old verified driver for W2000 and XP
OldDriver.zip

Now time to get it to work on my mac running windows 7 (and I guess soon to be running windows xp). Stephan, I read somewhere that there is a possibility for updating the camera firmware. Is it risky to destroy the camera? Can it make the camera usable on windows 7?

Take care

Stefan Geissler
January 2, 2013, 10:01:57
First of all, congratulations, that you got your camera to work on Wondows XP. (BTW, the camera was built in 2004).

For Windows 7 I can not make any hope, because for Windows 7 we needed to redesign all of our drivers. Windows 7 has a different memory management than XP and 2000, this was the reason for the redesign.

The camera has no firmware, in the way the follow up cameras have, therefore, there is nothing to be changed.

collaredkeeper
January 6, 2013, 23:53:43
First of all, congratulations, that you got your camera to work on Wondows XP. (BTW, the camera was built in 2004).

For Windows 7 I can not make any hope, because for Windows 7 we needed to redesign all of our drivers. Windows 7 has a different memory management than XP and 2000, this was the reason for the redesign.

The camera has no firmware, in the way the follow up cameras have, therefore, there is nothing to be changed.

Thanks for clarification Stefan, it has helped me better understand the change in the cameras that you were mentioning earlier.

just an update. I have set up Win Xp on the Mac Drive using virtualbox and unfortunately, VB doesn't support Firewire! So as of yet, there is no way to connect a firewire imaging source ccd to Mac without having to repartition your hd with bootcamp (which I will probably do anyways as I can't find a IC software for Mac that works with the IS cameras). Oddly enough, which might be of use to the company, the camera is automatically recognized on Mac Osx. Don't know why I never tried it, but it picks it up as a webcam and works perfect without having to install any drivers or software, so oddly enough Macs are great for this older imaging source camera. You don't even need an external power hub, the Macbook Pro even powers the camera. Unfortunately, again, there is no way to use capture software to perfect the image specifics, as it's not developed yet for the mac which is rather frustrating.

hope this helps somebody interested in the complexities of connecting a firewire imaging source camera to a mac. Only way I know possible is to run Win Xp on Bootcamp Partition, but have yet to get around to repartitioning :/

Stefan Geissler
January 7, 2013, 09:12:02
Hi

The only Mac Software I know was ASTRO IIDC. But as far as I know, it is no longer available.

collaredkeeper
January 9, 2013, 01:31:21
Hi

The only Mac Software I know was ASTRO IIDC. But as far as I know, it is no longer available.

thanks for all the help, will look into it.

Edit: Yes IDDC doesn't really exist anymore, quite a shame too...heard they had a great program running. Tried a program called BTV (http://www.bensoftware.com/) which picked up the camera and could control exposure, shutter, brightness, etc...but I feel still lacks in comparison to IC Capture. Not sure how the Mac even recognizes the camera as I can't find it detected anywhere on the computer.

Again, think I will stick to putting on an xp partition just to setup with programs for Astrophotography.

A lot of info for ccd owners owning Mac's and interested in Astrophotography can be found here (http://www.primordial-light.com/macastronomer.html).

Tony