PDA

View Full Version : Windows8 and ICcapture.AS produces too large videos

TeroP
November 5, 2012, 20:31:53
Basically this is like the topic says. Every single format (BY8, Y800, YUY2) produce a very large avi in combination with "unspecified" of "y800" codec. I used the latest driver from IS and also the latest ICcapture. I am using my new DBK21AU618.AS camera.

Basically a 100 frame video is ~180MB big with YUY2 format, both BY8 and Y800 are twice as big resulting in 350MB file. A 60 second 60fps Y800 video (3600 frames) ends up being 4GB in size.

Under Windows 7 the video size for a 100 frame BY8/Y800 videos is 30MB, 60MB for YUY2 video and 1GB for a 3600 frame Y800 video.

Stefan Geissler
November 6, 2012, 08:13:00
Basically, the AVI file size can be calcualted as
Hight * Width * fps * capture_duration_in_seconds

if the Y800 codec format is selected. The camera wont produce more data, regardless of the operating system.

Videoformats:
Y800 transfers 1 Byte per pixel
BY8 transfers 1 Byte per pixel, but will be debayered to RGB 24 or RGB32, depending on the sink (display, memory)
YUY2 transfers 2 Bytes per pixel (thus half frame rate), but will be debayered to RGB 24 or RGB32, depending on the sink (display, memory)

Codecs:
Y800 : Incoming video format is transferred into a 1 Byte per pixel format. BY8 and YUY2 source will be converted into gray scale, Y800 source not be changed.

AVI FileWriter stuff:
If frames are dropped, the DirectShow FileWrite will create a pointer to the previous images, so the impression is, there are to images, while it is same image as before. This means, a 100 frames AVI can contain much less real frames, if there were many frame drops. This is the only point, where the AVI size, using uncompressing codecs, can change the file size.

TeroP
November 6, 2012, 08:55:15
if the Y800 codec format is selected. The camera wont produce more data, regardless of the operating system.

Obviously. But for some reason with Y800 codec (or unspecified with Y800/BY8 format) the videos recorded are being DIB and not Y800 videos under Windows8 and this results them being too big compared to Windows7 and WindowsXP. Like I already said, using identical settings the difference in video size is massive between the other OSes and Windows8.

So there is a bug in either the codec package or in ICcapture that prevents the data being written in proper form under Windows8.

Stefan Geissler
November 6, 2012, 11:03:17
So there is a bug in either the codec package or in ICcapture that prevents the data being written in proper form under Windows8.
If the implementation of the DirectShow filters are different in Windows 8 then this is new to me. I do not use Windows 8 on my computer right now.

However, we will have a look on this in Windows 8. In case this is caused by Windows 8, then I do not think, we can do something about this.

Stefan Geissler
November 6, 2012, 11:22:47
Hi

You are right. We did not knew this different behavior and also do not know, why this is changed and whether we can change this. Maybe Microsoft had a reason to change the AVI FileWriter.

TeroP
November 6, 2012, 11:40:07
Luckily I haven't spent any money on Windows8 and I was just testing the enterprise 90 day evaluation version on my laptop's second harddrive to see how Windows8 actually works. As a bonus, I was able to inform you about the problem and hopefully it can be fixed.

I'll just continue using W7 since I got the proper license for it and capturing works properly with it.

Stefan Geissler
November 6, 2012, 15:17:24
Well,

Windows 8 can be downloaded from Microsoft for 29,99 €. This is a proper license. The offer is valid until January 2013 as far as I know.

And you are right, it is good to know about the changed save type.