PDA

View Full Version : problem installing the driver for DFG/USB2 pro

svoros
October 19, 2012, 13:47:56
Hello,
When i am trying to use the Imaging Source provided installer for the DFG/USB2 pro video converter, i get the following error: "the file vfwwdm.drv on (unknown) is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click ok"
I'm working on a windows 64 Bit computer with windows XP, and the vfwwdm.drv file does not exist on the disk. I tried to download the vfwwdm.drv file from the Internet, but although the installer finishes correctly, the converter is not recognized in the sample demo application (provided with IC Imaging Control 3.2).
I've used the drivers provided by The Imaging Source on their website (v1.0.16.128 driver), and have DirectX 11 installed.
Any help on this matter would be very helpful.
Best regards

Stefan Geissler
October 22, 2012, 08:23:22
Hi

The file vfwwdm.drv belongs to a usual Windows XP installation. If this file is missing, then your Windows XP installation is incomplete. This may causes a problem at all.

I would like to you to check, whether the DFG/USB2pro is shown in the Windows Device Manager in the "Imaging Devices" section without error code. If there is no error code, then please install IC Capture (http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/) and try to use the device again. If it does not work in this situation, you may try another USB cable.

If the DFG/USB2pro is shown with an error message, please let me know the error code. The "Code 10" is a general error, may here a new USB cable will help. The "Code 28" says, that the driver is not installed correctly, this points to my first guess of an incomplete Windows XP. However, we never tested Windows XP 64bit intensively.

RemiW
October 30, 2012, 08:57:32
Hi,

The Windows Device Manager showed DFG/USB2pro with a "Code 18" error message (driver not installed correctly). It seems that the installer wants specifically vfwwdm.drv which does not belongs anymore to the XP 64 distribution under this name (but a vfwwdm32.dll file still exists). Downgrading the system to 32bit solved the issue => it is currently the only solution we could find.

Thanks for your answer and best regards,
Rémi

Stefan Geissler
October 30, 2012, 09:45:35
Dear Rémi,

Well, I can not acknowledge this, since I run the DFG/USB2pro on my Windows 7 64bit without any problems. Therefore, I do not think, a downgrade to a 32bit version is not necessary.
The 64 bit version installed on my computer is
VfW MM Driver for WDM Video Capture Devices vfwwdm32.dll Version: 6.1.7601.17514

It is located in
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-directshow-vfw-capture_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_34a42 c333d8f8d28\vfwwdm32.dll

Even if it says "32" in the name, this version is a 64bit version.