PDA

View Full Version : Dbk 618

Celestman
September 9, 2012, 16:04:32
Hi everyone. I have a Celestron C8 SCT (hence the username:-) ) with which I have been using a Philips SPC900 to image the planets for many years. I am now in a position to and on the verge of purchasing a DBK618 (don`t want the extra expense of filters). However I am concerned over reports of a grid artifact showing up in users images using this camera. Have Imaging Source sorted out this problem or is it ongoing? Would feel a bit miffed after forking out for this camera to get this artifact after using a cheap webcam with no issues. My last point is probably moot but would I notice a real difference in image quality between the IS camera (sans artifact of course!) and my Philips. Any replies greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Ralph

Stefan Geissler
September 10, 2012, 09:32:50
Hi

The problem is not sorted out sufficiently. For the DFK/DBK 21AU618.AS series two firmwares are available. Version 1021 shows a faint Bayer mosaic pattern at 60 fps, while all other possible frame rates are fine. The version 1028 reduces the Bayer mosaic pattern extremely, but in 30 fps two prominent vertical lines appear on the sensor. Version 1028 is the one, the camera is produced with.

The monochrome cameras are not affected by the grid, because the sensor has no Bayer Mosaic pattern.

This means, you must decide on your own, what to do.

Celestman
September 10, 2012, 13:39:45
Thanks for the prompt reply, Stefan. That's a bit disappointing. Was hoping that all had been sorted "sufficiently". I don't really want to go down the monochrome route with the extra expense of filters, as well as a more expensive camera to begin with. I understand this problem only affects this latest generation of camera and not the previous one. Not sure what to do.

Stefan Geissler
September 10, 2012, 13:55:22
I am very sorry for my answer, but I think, being honest is the best.

Celestman
September 10, 2012, 15:45:13
I am very sorry for my answer, but I think, being honest is the best.

Many thanks Stefan for your help and assistance. Will need to have a think!!

Best regards,
Ralph Smyth

frankastro
September 10, 2012, 20:34:02
Hello,
I've a DBK21AU618. Have you a direct link to download the firmware 1021 ?
Thanks.

Stefan Geissler
September 11, 2012, 09:13:04
Hi

I've a DBK21AU618. Have you a direct link to download the firmware 1021 ?

No. Please create a request at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

It is not for public download, because a firmware update always has a very small risk to make the camera unusable.