PDA

View Full Version : accessible properties of ImagingSource cameras(brightness, contrast,...)

carousel
July 18, 2012, 17:53:35
Hi,

I am wondering what types of camera properties are accessible for a specific ImagingSOurce camera, for example, I have a DFX 41AG2 camera, and I can adjust its brightness/ gain, but not contrast, well for my DFX 21AUC camera, I can't reset its brightness, contrast, but gain.

I am using C++/DirectX 9.0 , and set camera properties via VideoProcAmp_Contrast, VideoProcAmp_Brightness,...,

Thanks,

Stefan Geissler
July 19, 2012, 08:42:57
Hello,

you may install IC Capture to see, which properties are supported by the camera. But DirectShow has only one value for white balance, while IC Capture is capable to to set the white balance for red and blue separately.

Contrast is not supported at all.

carousel
July 20, 2012, 21:18:43
Hello,

you may install IC Capture to see, which properties are supported by the camera. But DirectShow has only one value for white balance, while IC Capture is capable to to set the white balance for red and blue separately.

Contrast is not supported at all.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

For our application, we provide our customers an UI to adjust brightness and contrast and generally it works fine, but for those customers who choose Imaging Source cameras they keep complaining not able to adjust brightness and/or contrast, so recently I bought two different Imaging Source cameras to test on our application, for one camera our application can adjust its brightness but not contrast, and for the other model our application can't adjust either. I pulled out video property pages and found out in your cameras contrast property is disabled, brightness also disabled in one camera, but enabled in the other. If contrast is not supported in Imaging Source cameras, that is fine I can use Gain instead, but I was wondering why some of your cameras have adjustable brightness and others don't? why not make all of your cameras the same adjustable property set which will make developers like me to support your cameras easier, I guess.

Best Regards.

Stefan Geissler
July 23, 2012, 09:18:46
The availability of properties completely depends on the used hardware inside the camera model and the used sensors. If the sensors do not these properties, then it makes no sense faking them. Therefore, the different models can have different property sets.

I fully understand your point, that equal sets of properties makes support easier for you, but if a property is not available by hardware, then we can not do anything about this.

Instead of using brightness, it is better to use gain and exposure. If the camera runs on automatics, then the "Auto Epxosure Reference" value is fine. It tells the automatics how bright an image should be. This way keeps the dynamics of the sensor, while brightness and much worse contrast will change the original image.