PDA

View Full Version : DFK31F03 in LabView -- some basics

bzajec
July 4, 2012, 15:55:15
Dear all,

Several years ago we bought DFK31F03 camera, we also got IC Imaging control 2.0 with its LabView extension.
We are using LabView 7.1 on Win xp prof.

Recently a need emerged to have image acquisition done in LabView. After some studying I was able to get images using IC_grab_picture.VI. I can also write and read supported camera properties (exposure, hue etc.) although it seems that there are properties (e.g. hue, brightness and perhaps some other) that are not changed by using IC_set_property_value.VI

As far as I understood there are two way of dealing with image acq. in LabView using IC imaging control 2.0 labview extension: using LV picture or using IMAQ.

As a novice in image acq. in Labview (though I have considerable knowledge of LabView in general) I would like to know what is the main advantage of using IMAQ .VIs ? Furthermore I would like to know if I need any special toolkits (that need to be purchase separately) to use IMAQ to control camera and acquire images?

I noticed that newer version of IC imaging control is available. I would like to know what needs to be installed to use IMAQ functions to control camera and acquire images, if LabView 7.1 (full development version) is installed without any add-ons or toolkits that need to be purchased separately.

with best regards,

Bojan

Stefan Geissler
July 5, 2012, 10:01:26
Hello Bojan,

The main advantage of the IMAQ library is, that I am not involved in the LabVIEW programming. Also the NI IMAQ library fits very well in the LabVIEW development environment and if there are any problems, you can ask the competent National Instruments support. Also, as far as I know, the IMAQ library contains a lot of image processing algorithms. Our extension handles the access to the camera only. The IMAQ library must be purchased from National Instruments.

Since your camera is very old, I do not recommend to use a newer version of IC Imaging Control, you wont have any advantages.

Regarding the "non working" properties: I am not sure whether your camera supports them at all.

I noticed that newer version of IC imaging control is available. I would like to know what needs to be installed to use IMAQ functions to control camera and acquire images, if LabView 7.1 (full development version) is installed without any add-ons or toolkits that need to be purchased separately.

Only the IC LabVIEW Extension, nothing more. The Extension consists from an ActiveX component, one DLL for image conversion and a set of VIs.