PDA

View Full Version : Invalid avi files produced when cancelling AVI capture

uranos
May 3, 2012, 18:24:08
Hi All,
I use ICCapture with a DMK 41AU02.AS (Windows 7 64bits, Y800,Full Frame).
When I force to stop capture of an avi, the resulting file appears invalid on the processing machine (XP SP3 32 bits)
- Explorer crashes when trying to open (or to display icon)
- registax (4 & 6) crashes... (batch processing) for other valid files as long as an invalid is here

The only way is to delete from a dos box started from another directory...

I think that I use the latest versions of ICCapture and driver...(downloaded 30/12/2011)

Thanks for hints.
JPG

asimov
May 4, 2012, 07:45:21
I have a similar problem, only IC Capture will also crash, forcing a computer restart. My way around this (which is not foolproof but works 75% of the time) is to pause, & THEN the stop button to end a capture. The same for starting a capture > Pause, then unpause to capture.

This may help you, & it may not..

Stefan Geissler
May 4, 2012, 09:33:29
When you force IC Capture to stopp (by task manager?), then the AVI file header is not written. This is the last part, DirectShow writes into the AVI file, because it contains the length and image count of the AVI file. We have no influence on this, because this is part of AVI specification.

If the Explorer crashes, while it tries to open these damaged files, then try to use the "Details" view for all folders, before entering the folder with the avi files. I guess, in this case the Explorer does not try to open the file.

The approach of Asimov sounds good to me.

uranos
May 8, 2012, 16:55:13
When you force IC Capture to stopp (by task manager?), .

Hi Stefan,Asimov,

I stop the capture with sur "black Square" button...which seems the normal way to stop (on a camecorder)..
I do not refer to software hang ou crash...

Sometimes (when clouds come in the field of view), I try to stop capture in this way to save some disk space...

U