PDA

View Full Version : DMK 41AU02.AS USB Live preview at 15 fps stops and starts.

sisko3372
May 3, 2012, 08:53:59
Hello :-)

I recently purchased a DMK 41AU02 USB monochrome camera for Solar imaging through my Coronado telescope and planetary imaging.

After installing the supplied software and running up the camera, I found the 'Live View' mode (running at 15fps) was starting, stopping/ freezing, then moving again sporadically. Capturing an image wasn't good either, it took +8 minutes to take only 150 frames. I opted to try it at 7.5 fps where it ran no problems ('live View' worked flawlessly), however, I cannot adjust the shutter speed, gamma etc down far enough to stop the suns disc being over exposed - losing all surface detail.

Is there a way I can run my camera at 15fps?

My laptop is a AMD Athalon X2 Dual Core QL-67 2.2GHz, 4Gb RAM, running 32bit Windows 7. All USB ports are USB 2.0.

Any advice to help me fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Sisko3372

Stefan Geissler
May 3, 2012, 10:24:15
Hello

Usually I would point to the Processor Idle State Manager, but then I saw you use an AMD Athlon. Unfortunately the AMD Southbridge is not very well designed, so the USB data transfer is lower than possible. That means, the images are not transferred completely if the camera runs to fast, which is at 15 fps. Incomplete frames are dropped by the camera driver.

I am very sorry, but I can only suggest to stay at 7.5 fps. :-(

kamil k.
February 25, 2014, 21:56:48
Hello

Usually I would point to the Processor Idle State Manager, but then I saw you use an AMD Athlon. Unfortunately the AMD Southbridge is not very well designed, so the USB data transfer is lower than possible. That means, the images are not transferred completely if the camera runs to fast, which is at 15 fps. Incomplete frames are dropped by the camera driver.

I am very sorry, but I can only suggest to stay at 7.5 fps. :-(

Hi

I'm a owner of 41AU02.AS USB mono camera. I have AMD X2 Dual Core Processor. A few month ago I used Win XP operating system , and the camera works very well on that enviroment, I havent got any problems with the full range of FPS (15), and with the raw preview image, everything was briliant and clear.

Now I changed the OS on Win7 64bit. I have stil the same AMD X2 .... but the camera won't work good. I got a lot of problems which I cannot solve.

First of all at 15 fps - camera shows a comunicate The device is in live mode, but does not seem to deliver images. Please try to chose a different video format or try reconnecting your device to your computer.

Second: When I switch the rate on 7,5 and below, the preview window starts to show the image, but the image isn't clear and the picture is a full of artefacts sililar like here on the right side http://www.flickr.com/photos/8995460@N04/5008539749/sizes/o/in/photostream/ but the difference is that I haven't got this rectangle fields

I wonder why under XP camera work well but under W7 won't, though is the same AMD processor??

Thanks for any suggestions!

Stefan Geissler
February 26, 2014, 10:41:46
Hello

I wonder why under XP camera work well but under W7 won't, though is the same AMD processor??

Good question.

Did you install the latest driver? For Windows 7 we need newer drivers. http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/

However, what you see, is a result of interrupted image data transfer. The Processor Idle State Manager wont help, because you use an AMD CPU. But you may try to play around with the energy settings in Windows 7.

kamil k.
February 27, 2014, 09:08:07
Hello

Good question.

Did you install the latest driver? For Windows 7 we need newer drivers. http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/

However, what you see, is a result of interrupted image data transfer. The Processor Idle State Manager wont help, because you use an AMD CPU. But you may try to play around with the energy settings in Windows 7.

I must admit, that I also have notebook Lenovo g570 with Intel B960 2.2GHz and progress is that the camera worked at 15fps, but image is corrupted the same way as on PC. I will try later to install the PISM and I let you know about result.

Now on PC I use IC capture 2.3, with installed v2.4.14 USB2 driver. I also tried all energy settings in BIOS and in W7, but neither helped. Now I really don't know what I can do more. Within a few days I will try next two things: install driver for USB3 (i also check USB2 settings on BIOS) and try USB hub with external power supply.

Kind regards
Kamil

kamil k.
March 2, 2014, 13:17:47
Now I regained the ability to record in the 15 frames per second. I discovered it by accident. It seems that the problem was made by AirLive WiFi USB antenna which I didn't use before with WinXP. When I disconnect the WiFi the 15fps was back, but the image preview was jammed and stay about a few seconds, especially when the camera objective was directed into a brighter background. After I removed the USB WiFi antenna from PC, the image preview was not jammed.

But still the image is corupted as here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8995460@N04/5008539749/sizes/o/in/photostream/ and I cannot find the answear why?

Stefan Geissler
March 3, 2014, 13:00:05
Did you try PISM?
Also: Maybe there are more devices on the same USB controller, that may interrupt the image data transfer. you may try to disable them in Windows Device Manager and see, what happens.

kamil k.
April 18, 2014, 17:19:14
Did you try PISM?
Also: Maybe there are more devices on the same USB controller, that may interrupt the image data transfer. you may try to disable them in Windows Device Manager and see, what happens.

Well, i'm at the dead point. At Previous days I tried run the camera on PC with XP, another computer at my work with WIN7, and there was no change. Also I tried connection the camera with use a new cable but it did not change anything. It's hard to belive to me becouse between that days when i used it, the camera stay safe in the suitcase but now the only way to think is that the camera is damaged.

I want to send the camera to you to check out what is going on. Are you agree. If so send to me the address.

Thanks and kind regards.

Stefan Geissler
April 22, 2014, 16:59:04
Install 2.6.5 driver and see again.

I am puzzled too, since I had every time problems on modern AMD CPUs. The old Athlon 1600+ worked fine. But later AMD 64 encountered problems.

It seems that the problem was made by AirLive WiFi USB antenna which I didn't use before with WinXP. When I disconnect the WiFi the 15fps was back,

This means, the USB controller was overburden, so the WiFi data transfer interrupted the image data transfer from the camera. This resulted in incomplete and therefore dropped images. When you disabled the WiFi, it worked again.

However there are more interrupts, so not every datablock can be picked up from the camera and you receive incomplete images. They may are detected and dropped or not detected and have damages.

I do not think the camera is damaged.

At Previous days I tried run the camera on PC with XP, another computer
Which model? Which CPU?