PDA

View Full Version : Trouble using DMK21AG04.I in Flash

jhickner
April 13, 2012, 01:10:07
Hello,

We're attempting to use a GigE camera (DMK21AG04.I) in a computer vision application built in Adobe Flash. We've previously used the USB and Firewire cameras this way and they work great.

The GigE camera works well when accessed through IC Capture, but no image is displayed in flash, even though the camera is detected. Other webcam apps don't seem to work either (I've tested in Google Hangouts and Skype, and see only a black screen in each).

I'm using the GigE device driver listed here: http://www.theimagingsource.com/downloads/icwdmgigetis.en_US.zip
OS is Windows 7 64 bit

Is it possible to use a GigE camera with Flash?

Thanks!
- Jason

Stefan Geissler
April 13, 2012, 08:39:35
Hello Jason

The camera provides the Y800 video format only. This works fine with DirectShow, but the nearly 10 years old and outdated Video for Windows interface is not able to handle it. I have the suspect, Flash is based on this Video for Windows interface and support RGB24 only. Therefore you get no images. This is a guess only, because I have no Flash experiences at all.

I suggest to install IC Capture and check, whether you see an image with it. If you do not see an image, make sure, your network hardware is Gigabit Ethernet. 100mBit will not work.

jhickner
April 13, 2012, 20:07:55
Hello Jason

The camera provides the Y800 video format only. This works fine with DirectShow, but the nearly 10 years old and outdated Video for Windows interface is not able to handle it. I have the suspect, Flash is based on this Video for Windows interface and support RGB24 only. Therefore you get no images. This is a guess only, because I have no Flash experiences at all.

I suggest to install IC Capture and check, whether you see an image with it. If you do not see an image, make sure, your network hardware is Gigabit Ethernet. 100mBit will not work.

It works fine in IC Capture. So is DirectShow the only option for building software that works with this camera?

Stefan Geissler
April 16, 2012, 08:23:28
Hello,

It works fine in IC Capture. So is DirectShow the only option for building software that works with this camera?
Unfortunately yes. Y800 video format is often a problem for programs using outdated interfaces.