PDA

View Full Version : DFK618 and DBK618 differences (if any other than the filter)

alfas
February 18, 2012, 02:38:28
Hi, can you confirm me that the DFK21AU618.AS and the DBK21AU618.AS are exactly the same camera despite the bulit-in filter?

Exactly the same hardware and firmware? Only a piece of "glass" (actually IR cut filter) is the real difference?

I ask this because DFK618 was released months before the DBK618. So, I think something had to be changed or improved, even if minimal, in the DBK? Otherwise both could be released at the same time.

Thanks,
Rafael

Stefan Geissler
February 20, 2012, 14:35:53
Rafael,

Confirmed.

(The time difference is only caused by the administation.)

alfas
February 21, 2012, 17:15:55
Thanks Stephan.

Last question: The filter in the dfk is "IR-cut" or "IR and UV-cut"?

Bayer matrix does not block IR (hence the IR cut filter). Does bayer matrix acts the same way regarding to UV?

Thanks

alfas
February 21, 2012, 17:28:14
Let's assume I am interested in the 350nm wavelenght region.

Looking at Spectral Sensitivity Characteristics from both icx618aqa (color sensor in DBK618) and icx618ala (monochrome sensor in DMK618) and extrapolating the graph presented in the pdf specification of each sensor (page 10), the color sensor would have relative response 0 at this wavelenght. While the mono sensor would have a relative response around 0.45.

So, is it safe to say that the bayer matrix by itself blocks the UV wavelenghts below 350nm? Where UV at this wavelenght is detectable by DMK618 but not detectable by the DBK618?

Thanks,
Rafael

Stefan Geissler
February 23, 2012, 16:55:48
Hello Rafael,

You ask good questions. However, they may should be addressed directly to Sony, because we simply have not the measurement equipment to answer your question.

The IR cut filter is for IR. Not for UV.

Kevin Kilburn
March 2, 2012, 03:13:29
Hi, can you confirm me that the DFK21AU618.AS and the DBK21AU618.AS are exactly the same camera despite the bulit-in filter?

Exactly the same hardware and firmware? Only a piece of "glass" (actually IR cut filter) is the real difference?

I ask this because DFK618 was released months before the DBK618. So, I think something had to be changed or improved, even if minimal, in the DBK? Otherwise both could be released at the same time.

Thanks,
Rafael

I just bought the DBK, got it 1 March, because I already had a Baader IR/UV cutoff filter. Does this give me more flexibility when imaging with and/or without the filter? If so, how?

Thanks
Kevin

Stefan Geissler
March 2, 2012, 09:39:05
Hi,

I must admit, I do not understand your question. The more of flexibility you receive, is that you can remove the filter from your telescope and so can decide, whether using IR or not.