PDA

View Full Version : DFK22AUC03 dark picture

Joonas
November 29, 2011, 07:44:07
Hello,

It seems I am not able to adjust gamma setting and the gain setting is between 16...63. Is this normal property of this model? The picture is way too dark for astronomical purposes like planets shooting. The MT9V024 chip sensitivity is advertised to be 4.8 V/lux-sec. Is the current firmware and drivers really getting all out of it?
Is there going to be any driver/firmware updates anytime soon?

Stefan Geissler
November 29, 2011, 08:32:58
Hello,

You are right, this camera has no gamma property, therefore, you can no set it. All property values you see and can set, are quite normal for this camera. You may perform a right mouse click on the live video and select "properties" from the context menu. Then you will see a dialog, that shows all available properties of the camera.

However, I am not sure, whether the DFK 22AUC03 is suitable for astronomy purposes. We did not intend the CMOS camera models for astronomy purposes.

Joonas
November 29, 2011, 12:36:40
Thank you Stefan for your promp answer!

Made some more testing with a diferent camera as a reference:

Chip: MT9M001 Responsivity 2.1 V/lux-sec
Gain set to 20% (driver), exposure set at 3ms.

Have the same light throughput as

Chip: MT9V024 Responsivity 4.8 V/lux-sec
Gain set to "63" (driver maximimum setting), exposure set at 1/270 seconds.

When testing both cameras were exposed to the same level of light.

Conclusion:

So the smaller the number V/lux-sec is, the more sensitive will the chip be.

Question:

What would be the sensitivity of an CCD ICX618 in V/lux-sec (with Bayer filter)?

Stefan Geissler
November 29, 2011, 12:53:42
Hello,

I am very sorry, but have no values for compare of both sensors. Bit the 618 CCD sensor is much more sensor than the CMOS sensor.