View Full Version : 3 Qs Binning and Bandwidth

November 13, 2011, 00:30:24
I have 2 questions:

1) In IC Control you are able to access 4x and 2x binning I was wondering if you could do this inside Labview using Imaging Control's Labview software or through active X commands accessed through Labview?

2) When running 4 cameras at high resolution (1280x720) there seems to be a bottle neck on the USB port (Understandable). I was wondering if there was a way to get pass this? Decreasing frame rates? Setting up some sort of usb hub/switch to ignore certain ports? Changing to 4x binning? I am just throwing out ideas, but if anyone knows of an intelligent way of doing this then please do share! ^_^

It would also be helpful if someone could explained how the cameras work from Imaging Source. For instance, when I set a frame rate and resolution does this affect anything on the camera or is the decreasing the frame rate and resolution done purely on the computer side and the camera is just constantly streaming raw video at max resolution and fps?

Thank you,

Michael Kirmse
November 14, 2011, 10:06:16
Dear Donnie,

you can use access binning in LabView by setting the the VideoFormat (for example "Y800 (640x480) [Binning 2x]") at the VideoFormat property-knot. To do so, you need the latest version (3.2) of the ActiveX component. If you don't have this version, please create a support case at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/support/case/ and we will send you an update.

To get pass the USB port as a bottleneck, there are different possibilities. One way is to reduce the frame rate (there is a property-knot to do this). If you want to keep the full frame rate on all cameras, you need to use more then one USB controller (if your computer has front USB ports, try to use two on the front and two on the back).

November 15, 2011, 16:47:10
Thanks Micheal for the quick response. :-)

November 15, 2011, 21:03:53
I am still having problems when I tell the cameras to use the binning option. I took a picture of the VI I am using(On the top) which works when I pass "Y800 (640x480)" to the video format node, but does not work when I pass "Y800 (640x480) [Binning 2x]" to the video format node.

On the bottom of the picture is the VI used to set the video's format.

Does anything look or seem wrong?

Thank you,

Stefan Geissler
November 16, 2011, 09:15:40

Did you send an update request for the 3.2 version? The old ActiveX will not accept a binning video format.

November 17, 2011, 16:46:14
Just opened up a support case. I will keep you posted.

Thank you,