PDA

View Full Version : Problems with silent install

zkhan
October 7, 2011, 17:49:40
We use two cameras, one USB and one Firewire, on a device running Win7 x64. As part of our software installer, I'd like to integrate a driver update. This needs to happen silently, as we can't expose the technical details to our users.

I have downloaded the latest driver packages (2.1.5 for USB, 4.4.0.1 for Firewire).

I understand that for a silent install, I can run the drvInstaller.exe (or drvInstaller_x64.exe, if available) with the argument "install". For both drivers, I run into a problem:

Firewire:

For the firewire camera, the driver only comes with a drvInstaller.exe (no _x64 version). However, I believe this installer works for x64 as well, because when I execute it manually, it updates the driver without issues. However, when I try to do a silent install ("drvInstaller.exe install"), it does install, but I get an error dialog at the end saying:

"Windows cannot find '<current path>\drvInstaller_x64.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again".

... clearly, this error makes the silent install, non-silent. Is there something I'm doing wrong to make this dialog pop up, or is there a fix needed here?

USB

For the USB camera, there is a drvInstaller_x64.exe driver. When I execute this one silently ("drvInstaller_x64.exe install"), I get a "Windows Security" dialog asking the typical "Would you like to install this device software" and listing "The Imaging Source Europe GmbH" as the publisher.

This driver is labeled as being WHQL certified, so I'm confused as to why Windows is still asking for confirmation.

So, in both cases, I need to install the drivers silently. Any advice is appreciated. I am also getting e-mail support from ImagingSource, but just want to get more eyes on the issue, as the 9-hour time difference between us really slows down our progress.

Stefan Geissler
October 10, 2011, 16:15:51
Hello

First of all, we did not offer officially a silent driver installation. Therefore, the install parameters are only for installing a driver without a device connected. We did not thought about a silent install.

FireWire:
Simply copy the drvInstaller exe files from the USB camera camera driver. This should fix the 64 bit problem.

Certificate:
You can export the certifcate from the drvInstaller.exe using Windows Explorer. You can install the certificate with the certmgr.exe (which ist not the gui too started by certmgr.msc), before you install the drivers. Then the dialog window wont pop up (hopefully). You may refer to: http://www.appdeploy.com/tips/detail.asp?id=96 and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e78byta0%28v=vs.80%29.aspx.

Unfortunately we have no better solution right now.
I did not got an email from you.

zkhan
October 12, 2011, 19:57:00
Hi Stefan,

My e-mail correspondence was with a "Michael Kirmse".

I ended up finding a solution to the problem. I downloaded the Windows Driver Kit from Microsoft and used the utility DPInst to silently install the drivers. I only needed the .inf and .cat files to do so. It works perfectly.

Stefan Geissler
October 13, 2011, 08:25:17
Hi

Thank you for your feedback. I already read the email you have sent to Michael. However, this week Michael is out of office.