PDA

View Full Version : Windows7 Bandwidth problem

taygunkekec
September 30, 2011, 13:59:08
Hello, I have 3 DFK2104H Cameras. I have written an application for displaying images real time with 3 cameras.

(Development environment : VisualStudio 2005, IC Imaging Control 3.0 Debug Libraries )

My 3 firewire cameras are connected to my firewire hub, and this hub is connected to my firewire card.

My application on Windows XP, works great and i can open 3 cameras with 15,15,15 fps ( On my tests i have a total bandwidth of <60 fps using a firewire card )

However, on porting my application to Windows 7, i can not open 2 cameras at all, independent from frame rate i choose. )I cant even open 2 camera at 15,15 fps).

Even i do not fill the bandwidth, i get error after executing a startlive(false) function from the api.

Here is the code for opening multi cameras;

if ( !grabber[camIndex].isLive()){
if(!grabber[camIndex].loadDeviceStateFromFile(xmlFileList[camIndex])){
printf("Problem on loading settings of camera %d. Please give new settings \n", camIndex);
grabber[camIndex].showDevicePage();
// If we have selected a valid device, save it to the file "cameraSettNew.xml", so
// the application can load it automatically when it is started the next time.
if( grabber[camIndex].isDevValid()){
// Get corresponding filename
ostringstream filename;
int fileNameIndex = camIndex+1;
filename << "cameraSett" << fileNameIndex << ".xml" ;
grabber[camIndex].saveDeviceStateToFile(filename.str());
handler[camIndex]->setSnapMode(true);
grabber[camIndex].setSinkType(handler[camIndex]);
grabber[camIndex].startLive(false);
return true;
}
else{
return false;
}
}
else{
printf("Camera Initialization from %s Succesfull ...\n", xmlFileList[camIndex]);
handler[camIndex]->setSnapMode(true);
grabber[camIndex].setSinkType(handler[camIndex]);
grabber[camIndex].startLive(false);
return true;
}
}

Is there a Microsoft decision on limiting firewire card to only 1 device or what ?

Michael Kirmse
September 30, 2011, 14:09:50
On windows 7, there is an error in the standard firewire driver that may cause this behavior. You can exchange it with the legacy driver by using the device manager.

taygunkekec
September 30, 2011, 14:14:15
I am using the Device driver for The Imaging Source FireWire cameras. v4.4.0.1.

Using the device manager, i must switch back generic driver of Windows 7 for these camera ?

Michael Kirmse
September 30, 2011, 14:21:09
The windows driver for your firewire controller is the problem, not the camera driver. If you use "Update driver" on your firewire controller, it should show you different drivers, one of them is marked as "legacy". That one should work.

taygunkekec
September 30, 2011, 14:28:50
Hello, first of all thanks for your supreme speed :) I have tried to update my firewire controller on my Windows 7, but the update manager could not find any new firewire controller driver.

I am attaching a screenshot, am i doing something wrong or do i need to install this driver manually ?

Michael Kirmse
September 30, 2011, 14:40:39
Hello taygunkekec,

When you click on "update driver", you get a selection that let you choose to download the driver, or to search on your computer. At this point you have to choose the "search on you computer" option. On the next page you choose the "Choose from list" option and it will give you a short list of drivers containing the legacy driver.
I am sorry if the options I describe are not exactly what you get, I have to translate it from my German windows.

Stefan Geissler
September 30, 2011, 16:28:43
Hello,

in order to use the legacy Windows 7 FireWire board driver, follow the steps in the FAQ at http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/faq.php?faq=ic_camerahandling#faq_ic_win7stackdriv er

Also it is a good idea to try to open the cameras using IC Capture. You can figure out the best working value. However, the same settings you used in Windows XP must work in Windows 7 32 and 64 bit too. The bandwidth of FireWire is the same in Windows 7 and Windows XP.

taygunkekec
September 30, 2011, 21:31:39
Your support resulted in quickest solution for me. I can use my interface with great joy now :) Thank you.