PDA

View Full Version : image artifacts and avi codec problem

darbyvet
August 8, 2011, 04:08:05
My old imaging laptop was malfunctioning so i switched to a newer one and downloaded ICcapture 2.2 and the camera drivers from the website.

I took several avis of Jupiter on 8/5/2011, but i could not get them to load into Reg6 on my main PC.I can load them into Reg6 on the laptop.It also says when I load them into Reg6 in the laptop that the image is 720 by 480 instead of 640 by 480.
The final image i produced shows some horizontal lines at either end of the planet. The planet is also "stretched" in the horizontal plane ie it is no longer round.Look closely at the first image and you will see what I am saying. I uploaded the images into photoshop and was able to reduce the horizontal frame size to 640 pixels and this resulted in a round Juptier, but the lines were still present. I did reprocess the images again with less sharpening and the lines were less noticeable but they were still there. I think the setting in ICCapture may have been wrong, but I dont remember what setting I used.I tried running the camera using Y800 for both codedcs and I got a 640 by 480 frame siZe. Are the frame size and artifact related to perhaps me using the generic coded ratrher than the Y800?

Michael Kirmse
August 8, 2011, 11:27:05
Dear darbyvet,

the only thing that may cause your video to change its size/format is the codec. We often had this with the DV Video Encoder, thus I suggest you to use the Y800 codec.

darbyvet
August 8, 2011, 14:34:16
Thanks Michael,
do you think the lines on the image are due to the codec too?

Michael Kirmse
August 8, 2011, 14:45:47
Are the lines in the image visible before you do any processing?

darbyvet
August 8, 2011, 17:34:58
Yes Michael,
you can see the lines in the video.Processing makes them more prominent, but I can see them in the original.If I increase noise reduction in Reg6 processing I can make them fainter, but they are still visible if you look at the image enlarged.

Michael Kirmse
August 9, 2011, 14:52:21
Dear darbyvet,

do you use any kinds of optical filters or additional lenses that do not belong to your regular optics?

darbyvet
August 9, 2011, 15:30:39
Yes Michael I use Astronomik RGB filters, but I have been using those for a while now and never had any artifacts before.My imaging setup has not changed at all apart from switching to a new laptop.