PDA

View Full Version : DMK 21 USB frame rate

darbyvet
July 31, 2011, 16:44:11
I am having some problems with my DMK 21 USB camera.Recently I have noticed ICcapture does not always detect the camera.It may take 5 or 6 attempts of plugging and unplugging the camera for it to appear as a selection.
Secondly I had problems this am with frame rate.I set exposure to 1/38s, gain to 900,gamma to 100 and selected 30 fps in ICCapture.For some reason the camera kept dropping frames.I could only get a a maximum of 1200 frames per minute when I should be getting 1800.ICCapture would grab a bunch of frames and then would go really slowly (ie one or two frames per second for a few seconds ) and then speed up again.I tried 2 different USB cables and shut down the laptop and rebooted to no effect.I was also unable to get 60 fps when shooting the moon last week.Even when I set the exposure to 1/92 it would only give me 30 fps max.Do I need to update the driver or is this an issue with my camera? I will download firecapture to see if it happens with that software.

Thanks
Carl

Tim Cassens
August 1, 2011, 09:37:17
Hello Carl,

regarding your camera sometimes not being detected when connecting it to your computer, please try a different USB camera and another USB port on your computer.

Regarding your second problem, please check whether the expected frame rate is reached while you do not record video. The current frame rate is displayed in the title bar of the camera window in IC Capture 2.2.

If you have a low frame rate, please try the Processor Idle State Manager (http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/downloads/tools/).

If the frame rate is fine when not recording video, you either selected a codec causing frame drops (possibly because of too high CPU load) or the codec you selected is generating more data than your hard disk can write (maybe it is too fragmented?).

Best regards
Tim Cassens

darbyvet
August 2, 2011, 15:22:24
Thanks Tim,
I did everything you suggested and there was no change.I tried to defrag my hard drive and the computer kept crashing so I think the problem may be with my hard drive.I will try to load the software onto another laptop and see if that helps.My other laptop is running Windows7 home version.Are there any problems running these cameras on Windows7?
Carl

Tim Cassens
August 3, 2011, 08:50:19
Hello Carl,

no problems at all with Windows 7.

Do you get the low frame rate only when recording or also when just displaying live images?

Best regards
Tim Cassens

darbyvet
August 4, 2011, 18:57:38
Thanks Tim,
I switched to a newer laptop and everything works fine.I could get 60 fps and 30fps.i was using iCCAPTURE 2.1 so I downloaded the new version.I just ordered the DMK 21 618 mono camera.Does that dome with a newer version of ICcapture than is on your website? Do I need to install new drivers for the 618? I installed the drivers from your website.

All I need now is for it to stop raining!

Thanks

Tim Cassens
August 5, 2011, 09:14:25
Hello Carl,

the DMK 21AU618 camera will work with the driver from its accompanying CD or the one from the web site. You probably wont have to install anything at all because when you had another DMK USB camera connected before, it usually auto-installs that driver for the device.

Best regards
Tim Cassens