PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the DFK 21F04

zAmboni
June 22, 2011, 04:59:15
Hi,

I recently acquired an older DFK 21F04 (serial number 3021301B6). The camera didn't have any software, nor any documentation and it has been a little tough finding out information about the camera on the web. After testing out the camera with the trial IC Capture (also downloaded and installed the firewire drivers) I have a few questions about the camera.

1) Can I just use the trial IC Capture without it expiring or should I be using a different version?

2) The camera that I received, did not have a back cover. Is it possible to buy a replacement back cover for the camera?

3) From the .pdf file (http://www.theimagingsource.com/downloads/fwcamspecwp.en_US.pdf) I am not sure if the camera has an optical low pass filter installed on it. The camera came with a small pinhole lens attached, from my brief testing, it appears that the pinhole lens has an IR filter attached to it, would the low pass filter also be integrated into the lens? How would I be able to tell if it does have a low pass filter installed.

4) Last question for now. The camera has 1/30s as its slowest shutter speed. For the applications that I would like to use the camera for I would need shutter speeds in the 1/5s - 1/15s range. Also, from the .pdf above, it appears the camera does not have RAW output using the Y800 codec. I know the camera is kind of old, but I was wondering if there was a firmware update that enables longer shutter speeds and RAW video output...or am I stuck with the settings that the camera has right now?

Thanks for your help,
Fred

Stefan Geissler
June 22, 2011, 10:24:54
1) Can I just use the trial IC Capture without it expiring or should I be using a different version?
The downloadable trial version is only named trial version in the setup. But it is a full version.

2) The camera that I received, did not have a back cover. Is it possible to buy a replacement back cover for the camera?
No, we do not sell the housing separately.

3) From the .pdf file (http://www.theimagingsource.com/down...ecwp.en_US.pdf) I am not sure if the camera has an optical low pass filter installed on it. The camera came with a small pinhole lens attached, from my brief testing, it appears that the pinhole lens has an IR filter attached to it, would the low pass filter also be integrated into the lens? How would I be able to tell if it does have a low pass filter installed.
The DFK cameras have an IR Cut filter. I do not think, that you will encounter many problems by using two IR Cut filters.

4) Last question for now. The camera has 1/30s as its slowest shutter speed. For the applications that I would like to use the camera for I would need shutter speeds in the 1/5s - 1/15s range. Also, from the .pdf above, it appears the camera does not have RAW output using the Y800 codec. I know the camera is kind of old, but I was wondering if there was a firmware update that enables longer shutter speeds and RAW video output...or am I stuck with the settings that the camera has right now?
The shutter speeds can not be changed, longer exposure times are not possible with the DFK 21F04. Also you are right, the DFK 21F04 has no bayer raw data. And the last point is: The camera has no capabilities for a firmware update, because it does not use a firmware. The complete functionality is "hardwired" in the chip inside the camera.

zAmboni
June 25, 2011, 03:40:57
Thanks for the info Stefan.
I just wanted to double check on the capabilities of the camera and see if there was anything I was missing

Fred