PDA

View Full Version : We Need a Crosshair for IC Capture

Rando
May 26, 2011, 05:20:18
Hello Stephan,
I have been using my DMK2104 (USB) monochrome camera for about 3 years now and love it. However, I keep looking for an option in IC Capture (V2.2) to turn on a crosshair, with each update but have not found it included as yet. Is it a huge undertaking to program that option into IC Capture? That would really make the program robust. Thanks for reading.

Stefan Geissler
May 26, 2011, 07:42:46
Hi Rando,

yes, it is a huge undertaking, because the program was not written by myself. However, please see the iccexternalgraphigssetp attachment. It is the same "plugin" that was available for IC Capture 2.1. See "External Devices" in IC Capture to get it work after installation.

I also added the very simple ICY800capture, which saves Y800 AVI files + camera settings in a text file. It shows the live video colored, while AVI ist Y800 (for Registax). It as a reticle.

Rando
May 26, 2011, 22:42:49
Many thanks Stefan for your very prompt reply. I will attend to these downloads very soon.
Thanks very much!

Rando
May 27, 2011, 05:43:29
Hi Stefan,
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much.
Randy

arbacia
June 21, 2011, 12:03:30
Thanks for the crosshair.

Patricio

Daniel_Leclerc
February 13, 2013, 13:00:07
Hi Stefan,

I had a trial with the nice Y800 software that you made. Where are the avi files saved (in a specific folder?) I cannot find them, lol!

Did you or your colleagues make more recent versions of this capture software?

-Daniel

Stefan Geissler
February 13, 2013, 15:42:40
Daniel,

the files were saved in the "My Videos" directory somewhere, as the message box at the end of capture shows.

A more recent version is not available.

Daniel_Leclerc
February 14, 2013, 11:40:36
Thanks Stefan,

I found the file! It took me a moment to understand that I had to close the window for settings before clicking the red button for making the video. :-) Then, I got the kind message about location of the file.

... However, I do not get colors in RegiStax5, when I perform the steps that are described in the tutorial, for debayering. I also tried to get the colors back using Fire Capture DeBayer tool, and it gave me an errror message. I try to attach an image of this message:1547

I also tried to process the file in Virtual Dub: I just tried opening the file and resaving as avi. It was still in black and white, but I saw the colors in the VirtualDub window during the processing steps (although not in the final image). This is telling me that colors are in the file, but I cannot get them back.

Any suggestions? Other ways to get these colors back that I should try? Do you think I am doing some mistake(s) during the processing of the file, like forgetting a detail?

-Daniel

Stefan Geissler
February 14, 2013, 14:07:22
Hi Daniel

Congratulations! You found the major change, Microsoft did in DirectShow in Windows 8. For some unknown reason, some of the DirectShow filters no longer accept *any* video format, so in Windows 8 the pixel format will be changed. Believe me, we were very surprised, when we recognized this new behavior. The AVI files will be saved fine and Windows Media Player can show them. But programs, that need Y800 for input will fail in Windows 8.

We are in contact with the Microsoft support about this since a few weeks.

Daniel_Leclerc
February 15, 2013, 00:35:13
Thanks Stefan!

:-) I am very proud for having done this finding... and I am very glad that you found it before I did, giving you a chance to find a solution more rapidly. Please let me know if an alternative way of doing this becomes available. I understand that we absolutely need Y800 for performing this tricky debayering process and that we cannot do it for the moment.

Best wishes,

-Daniel

Stefan Geissler
February 15, 2013, 08:21:56
Hi Daniel,

the IC Y800 Capture software is no solution right now, except the program learn to read the format, that DirectShow creates Windows 8.

You may IC Capture, use BY8 video format and save the videos as RGB24 uncompressed. Then the other program may are able to read them.

Also, you may ask the FireCapture support too.

The Debayering is not absolutely necessary to be done by external programs. The color calculation can be done by IC Capture or the camera. The only disadvantage is, the AVI files being three times bigger, than using Y800.

Daniel_Leclerc
February 15, 2013, 11:43:06
Thanks Stefan,

1. Without external debayering: I experimented several cases where some combinations of format/codec could not give me the expected high number of frames in a given time, probably because my computer (or the camera) could not get file transfer fast enough. May be the cold temperature here does not help in the process. Some combinations of format/codec were allowing transfer at 60 fps, but the size of the files was making me believe that I possibly have not as much info in my images that I could get. Am I right?

2. With external debayering: Based on your expertise, would you say that debayering in an external program after "IC Capture, using BY8 video format and saving the videos as RGB24 uncompressed" would be the best option for getting as many fps as possible and the higher amount of info as possible from my images? Would you think there is something better than this that I should try? I would like to optimize the stuff I can get from my DBK21AU618.AS camera.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Stefan Geissler
February 15, 2013, 15:22:53
Hi Daniel,

Right now, I think the BY8 -> RGB24 solution could be the best. However, I did not test, whether third party software can read these on Windows 8 created files.

Daniel_Leclerc
February 27, 2013, 11:00:24
Hi Stefan,
I would like to use external debayering, if this becomes possible for Windows 8. Please post in this thread if a solution becomes available. Thanks for your help.
-Daniel

Stefan Geissler
February 27, 2013, 14:13:04
Right now, we got no answer from Microsoft Support.

Stefan Geissler
March 13, 2013, 15:53:04
Regarding Y800 AVIs in Windows 8 we created a new driver. If you want to test this driver, please create a support case at http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/company/contact/
I will provide a download link by email.

Daniel_Leclerc
May 22, 2013, 13:16:40
Right now, we got no answer from Microsoft Support.

Hello Stefan,

Earlier, in January 2013, you wrote "We are in contact with the Microsoft support about this since a few weeks". If Microsoft, did not reply yet (more than 3 months now), could you please ask again. I would need to get 60 FPS "for beating bad seeing" and I am afraid that I could not get it with detailed images without using Y800/Y800. I bought the DBKAU618.AS after beeing told by my provider (which verified with The Imaging Source) that it is compatible with Windows 8 and I feel very sad to have this problem since I bought it. I understand that this problem was not expectable, but I believe it is an important feature for getting the most of this camera, at least in my hands, and it should be solved.

-Daniel

Stefan Geissler
May 22, 2013, 14:18:00
See the post above.

Driver can be downloaded from http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/ Driver version v2.5.8.916. Its for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

Daniel_Leclerc
May 23, 2013, 04:17:31
See the post above.

Driver can be downloaded from http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/support/downloads/ Driver version v2.5.8.916. Its for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

Thanks Stefan! I did not see the previous post above. I did a rapid test with a colored wall in my house (cannot use the scope tonight, it is raining now). It seems to work now with Y800/Y800! Thanks!
-Daniel

zalta19900
June 23, 2013, 23:41:20
Thanks Stefan,

1. Without external debayering: I experimented several cases where some combinations of format/codec could not give me the expected high number of frames in a given time, probably because my computer (or the camera) could not get file transfer fast enough. May be the cold temperature here does not help in the process. Some combinations of format/codec were allowing transfer at 60 fps, but the size of the files was making me believe that I possibly have not as much info in my images that I could get. Am I right?

2. With external debayering: Based on your expertise, would you say that debayering in an external program after "IC Capture, using BY8 video format and saving the videos as RGB24 uncompressed" would be the best option for getting as many fps as possible and the higher amount of info as possible from my images? Would you think there is something better than this that I should try? I would like to optimize the stuff I can get from my DBK21AU618.AS camera.

Best wishes,

Daniel
I had a trial with the nice Y800 software that you made. Where are the avi files saved (in a specific folder?) I cannot find them, lol!

Did you or your colleagues make more recent versions of this capture software?

Stefan Geissler
June 24, 2013, 09:58:36
Hello

There is a big message box showing where the AVI files have been saved to at the end of AVI capture.

It is somewhere in "My Videos" or "My Documents".

We did not more recent versions of the program, it was only playing around in my spare time :-)

james_screech
December 3, 2013, 08:29:36
I've been trying these two solutions to show a cross hair and neither work.

iccexternalgraphicssetup2.2.zip :- there is no way to enable the cross hairs in the latest version of the software.

icy800capturesetup.zip :- after installation the app will not run due to missing dlls.

James

merlin66
December 3, 2013, 09:29:11
Many of us use "Al's Reticule" freeware to provide a scalable crosshair overlay on the active screen.
Works very well!

james_screech
December 4, 2013, 08:36:57
Many of us use "Al's Reticule" freeware to provide a scalable crosshair overlay on the active screen.
Works very well!

Al's Reticule is OK as far as it goes but it has one severe limitation, if the image window has scroll bars the reticule does not scroll with them. I want a reticule that will stay centred in the image for use like an electronic finder-scope.

James

Stefan Geissler
December 4, 2013, 09:42:26
Dear all,

I attached the "External Gaphics" compiled for use with IC Capture 2.3 to this post.

However, this is no official The Imaging Source product, therefore, there is no warranty for using it at all.