PDA

View Full Version : camera control in max/msp/jitter on macintosh

karl krach
May 18, 2011, 14:45:15
hi,
i'm using a dfk a31f03 on a mac in max/msp with jitter... so far everything works as it should (including exposure/shutter/gain/...) but it seems to run in UYVY instead of BY8 since i can't get more than 15fps out of it...
any idea anybody how to change that? or maybe some general documentation what BY8 actually is? i didn't find much about that anywhere...

any help is appreciated a lot, thanks in advance!
karl

Stefan Geissler
May 18, 2011, 14:55:19
Ok, I think I must not answer the question a third time.

However, since we had too much spam in the forum, we decided to moderate new posts and threads. Therefore your post was not shown immediately, as stated after you posted it.

karl krach
May 19, 2011, 16:56:13
sorry for double posting, i thought the post got lost in digital nirvana...
anyway, that's bad news. although actually i only do need b/w so y800 would be ok i guess. provided i figure out how to tell max to switch to y800 - would that work with the camera?
thank you very much for your help!
karl

Stefan Geissler
May 19, 2011, 17:08:31
In case you use Y800 video format of your color camera, you receive the Bayer Mosaic raw data. This looks like a fine checkerboard pattern on your image. The Y800 raw data contains the color information. This is used to calculate the RGB values. This process is named debayering. You may ask the support of the program you use for help. Please remember, the camera follows the DCAM 1.3 standard, which seems to be supported by your program.

Debayering is common in astronomy. Windows programs like Registax are able to perform this.

karl krach
May 25, 2011, 13:20:50
first of all: thank you so much for your help!

i guess i could do the debayering at a later stage with max/opengl or whatever so that shouldn't be the problem.
the more important question is how to get there in the first place... max/msp uses the standard quicktime iidc-driver so the question would be, wether that has the capability to switch modes (ie. to y800), framerate and resolution? and if yes, how to do this.

i did get 30 fps on a mac with a proprietary third-party driver (http://www.outcastsoft.com/ASCASTROIIDC.html) but i do not think i will be able to access that one from max/msp which relies on quicktime.

all the best
karl

Stefan Geissler
May 25, 2011, 14:22:24
Karl,

the FireWire cameras follow the DCAM 1.3 standard, which is implemented in th IIDC. Therefore it is only a problem of your software and you may ask the software programmers for an answer. I can imagine, the Quicktime programmers wont answer in any case.

But there is another problem with "max/msp", if it is the same as this : http://cycling74.com/
It has no functionality to set a frame rate. At least, not the Windows version. I had a similar case last week. I got an answer like this:

But you can send to a "jit.dx.grab" module a message "settings", which should result in a dialog,
that allows to set a video format and a frame rate.

Maybe this is helpful for you.