PDA

View Full Version : Installing drivers on a system with multiple network interfaces

z-man
May 16, 2011, 21:07:43
Hi,

I have a system which has multiple network interfaces, each dedicated for a special communication task.

When installing GigE driver the driver is installed on ALL interfaces. If I am not careful and I do not remove driver bindings from interfaces when GigE camera is not connected prior rebooting Windows, BSOD occurs.

Is it possible to:
a) programatically set on which interfaces the driver is installed (i.e. setup parameter)
b) manually select interface during setup

Thanks,
Zvonko

Stefan Geissler
May 17, 2011, 09:40:14
Hello,

There is an NDIS driver installed only and yes, it is installed on all network devices. You can remove this driver from a network connection manually, if it is not needed there.

a) programatically set on which interfaces the driver is installed (i.e. setup parameter)
no

b) manually select interface during setup
There is only this ndis driver installed. Nothing more, which affects the network directly.

Regarding BSOD, a minidump (C:\windows\minidump) is helpful for debugging.

z-man
May 17, 2011, 10:30:47
You can remove this driver from a network connection manually, if it is not needed there.Yes, that's right. However, I would like to have at least semi-automatic driver assignments. Do you have any ideas how to programatically add / remove driver to / from network connection? Some windows api or windows utility programs?

Regarding BSOD, a minidump (C:\windows\minidump) is helpful for debugging. I agree with you. But unfortunately, the BSOD is not directly caused by your driver. However, I can give you instructions how to install this driver and you can try to duplicate the issue on one of your PCs.

Stefan Geissler
May 17, 2011, 10:34:59
Yes, that's right. However, I would like to have at least semi-automatic driver assignments. Do you have any ideas how to programatically add / remove driver to / from network connection? Some windows api or windows utility programs?
We do not have something like this. However, the does the ndis driver disturb you somehow? It passes all packages , that do not come from a camera through.

I agree with you. But unfortunately, the BSOD is not directly caused by your driver. However, I can give you instructions how to install this driver and you can try to duplicate the issue on one of your PCs.
You may do so, but a minidump is the only way for us to check what really happened. At least in most cases.