PDA

View Full Version : Camera Blocks - EMI?

miguelrpx
May 11, 2011, 14:37:55
Hello,

I have an Imaging Source DFX31BF03 camera, operating in a industrial assembly line, near a resistance welding machine. The camera blocks after a time working. I tried isolating the firewire cable and the camera with aluminum foil paper, but the problem persists.
Is it possible that the blocking be related to EMI as I suspect? Any sugestions?

Thank you, regards

Stefan Geissler
May 11, 2011, 16:09:00
Hello Miguel,

What does "block" mean? Is the camera not provided any images? Is the camera listed in the Windows Device Manager? Unfortunately I have no idea what a resistance welding machine is. Does it produce strong electrical fields? It this case, the camera can be influenced.

miguelrpx
May 11, 2011, 16:43:29
Thank you for your quick reply.
By block I mean that the image freezes, and then when I restart the computer there is no image at all. In the device manager the camera appears with an error (it says something like it's impossible to start the camera - "error 10" if my memory doesn't fail me). The resistance welding passes very strong currents through the pieces being welded, thus the EMI in the close vicinities. There is also some heat being generated by various devices nearby, so I ask if temperatures can also be an issue to the camera.

Regards

Stefan Geissler
May 11, 2011, 17:13:21
Sorry for asking, but I would like to know, whether the camera behaves in the same way, if the welding machine is working. I have to ask all these questions before I start to ask my engineers.

miguelrpx
May 11, 2011, 20:15:46
I left it working in my office this afternoon, tomorrow I will give you feedback.

Regards

miguelrpx
May 13, 2011, 10:59:23
I have had the camera working in my office since yesterday, and everything is OK. So I assume the problem must be related to something occuring in the assembly line - probably EMI.
Can you give any advice on protecting the camera against EMI?

Regards

Stefan Geissler
May 13, 2011, 11:35:08
Hello,

First of all I have to admit confusing soldering with welding.... Yes, strong pulsing electrical fields can influence the camera's electronic. However, I have no good idea how to shield the camera. If possible try a bigger distance and use a lens with longer focal length.