PDA

View Full Version : Starting Point IC Capture Settings for Planets (Saturn)?

donwaters
May 3, 2011, 13:34:43
I am just getting started and all these varaibles are very confusing. My first photos of Saturn turned out nice after running thru Registax (also first time user). I do not even know what the IC settings were.

Is there a generic starting point for all these settings, i.e., which codec, which format, gain, etc.

Or is there some manual or book that explains this from a pracitical, "how-to" appoach?

akjudge
May 3, 2011, 14:13:57
Here is my understanding from talking to some of the top imagers.
*always set the fps, and exposures at the same number. Example Fps 30 exposure 1/30. This ensures that the camera is capturing the maximun light, photons.
*Pull up the Histogram, and adjust it by moving the gain slider. On the bottom of the graph you should aim for 250. This ensures you are exposing the full chip.
*Gama default (100)
*Brightness 0
*Make sure you also understand the time you can capture before rotational blurring. Very important for fast rotations like Jupiter.
*For planet moons you need to combine 2 sets of images (one with exposure set for the moons -- making the planet overexposed; the second with exposure set for the planet -- making the moons invisible.)

This should get you started.

Jim

darbyvet
May 3, 2011, 14:40:32
You may want to check out www.iceinspace.au.Look under projects on the left and there are two excellent articles on planetary imaging either with a mono camera with filters or a one shot color camera. There is also a very good DVD produced by Damian Peach (www.damianpeach.com)-a world class planetary imager-that is very good at explaining how to take images of planets with a camera.

Exactly what setting you need depend on the seeing conditions.If you have very good seeing you can use a lower gain to get a smoother image.If seeing is poorer you want to increase the gain so that you can decrease exposure time.The more frames you can take during poor seeing the more chances there are you will get a sharp image and when you stack the images if you have a lot of images to stack that will help to reduce the noise from the high gain.Using the histogram setting before you start recording is very helpful.You want the histogram to almost reach the high end (250).If the histogram only reaches 120 your image will be underexposed and if your histogram goes beyond 250 your image will be overexposed and you will lose detail.I use the y800 coded for recording.If you have a color camera you must make sure that debayering is turned off before you start recording or the recorded AVI will be a greyscale image.