PDA

View Full Version : DFK31, Gige, and Intel Atom based Windows Embedded System.

jh2832
April 21, 2011, 19:47:05
I have installed that gige driver/tools, the ic capture suite and am trying to test this camera on an intel atom (1.3ghz, 1 gig ram) based windows embedded system. I get the camera up on the gige nic, it has a connection as I can see data in/out counts going up on the nic. Problem is I never see it in the ip config tool, and if I launch the IC Capture tool, I can "see" the camera, but when I try to select it, I get a error about camera possible in use or check to make sure I have bandwidth on my firewire. Not sure where the firewire comment is coming from, but regardless, it won't display anything. Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments?
TIA, -jim

Stefan Geissler
April 26, 2011, 14:51:07
Hello,

the GigE camera wont work, if your computer has not a Gigabit Ethernet. Please check, whether it has a GigE network adapter.

jh2832
April 26, 2011, 14:54:43
sorry, should have posted that info.. it is a gigabit interface: Intel 82547l Gigabit network interface card.

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2011, 09:29:09
I am very sorry, but I have no idea, what happens on your computer. There can be many problems, like too slow CPU or your power management slows down the CPU too much. An Atom CPU should be fast enough, from my point of view. You may try a lower frame rate in IC Capture to reduce the amount of data to be transferred and handled.
Also it is extremely unlikely the GigE Cam Config not showing the camera, but IC Capture does. This may points in the directory of missing Windows parts in your Windows embedded. Unfortunately we have no experiences with Windows embedded, so we can not say, which modules are missing. There is a link for DirectShow files available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd377592(VS.85).aspx. But I do not think, this is helpful for you, since the IC Capture runs (=>DirectShow files installed) and the cameras was started successfully (the error message stated, the filter graph was built and the camera started, but no frames arrive at IC Capture).

jh2832
April 27, 2011, 15:00:16
thanks for the reply.. I fully appreciate and understand that WES is not a supported platform, and acknowledge that it is hard to answer questions without very much knowledge of windows embedded. What I am hoping/looking for is to combine your expertise of the camera/software/driver architecture and my knowledge of WES too come up with a list of possible things to check out. My instincts, along with yours, point to something different and/or missing in the WES componetized operating system, or, one other thought is the 533 mhz FSB... but, I am not sure there either.

One other interesting fact to note is the USB version of this camera seems to work just fine. Not sure where that points to, but maybe at least eliminates, CPU, FSB, etc. thoughts on that?

I am potentially looking at using the USB interface version. What are the pros/cons of using USB vs. GigE?

One reason I'm on the gige for now, is the next version of this camera has the small form factor, and I must have that form factor for my device.

Where do you think we go from here?

-jim

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2011, 16:40:26
Jim,

did you try the latest GigE Cam config/driver from http://www.theimagingsource.com/support?

From my point of view, your computer is fast enough. Even on my Athlon 1600+ (1,4GHz) I can get images.

If you want us to have a look on your computer we can try by using Teamviewer 5 or you may send your computer to us.

jh2832
April 27, 2011, 17:29:28
ya, I'm running 1.2.0.697... I thing I noticed too, when I stop the gige cam dev service, it always crashes... I'm doing a complete rebuild of the os, direct, just to try to see if I get lucky..

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2011, 18:10:14
Try this version. Its newer.

jh2832
April 27, 2011, 21:34:33
well, I tried it.. didn't seem to make any difference, unfortunately! Service still crashes up shutdown too. Is there any way to turn on debug logging or anything like that? thanks again, jim.

Stefan Geissler
April 28, 2011, 08:55:26
Hello Jim,

What error message do you receive?

However, my offer is still available: If you want us to have a look on your computer we can try by using Teamviewer 5 or you may send your computer to us.

jh2832
April 29, 2011, 14:48:04
well, I'm not able to get this specific system to work. I'm looking into teamviewer and also getting a different system today, dual core, 1.6ghz, atom processor, so a little faster CPU. Will have a go at that one, and let you know. thanks -jim