PDA

View Full Version : DMK... no, it's a color camera!

Powerstar8PEC
April 5, 2011, 15:53:57
Hello,

Last November I bought a DMK21 from OPT and when I connected the camera I noticed that the B&W image shows a "grid". Because I had no experience with cameras I thought that it is normal. A week ago I published an image of the Moon and one experimented astroimager said me that it is not normal, so I began to play with controls and push the "debayering" and... VOILA, the image was in full color!

The problem here is that my computer detect the camera as a DMK, not a DFK or DBK, and it causes the software to have many issues like I can't control the exposure because it is ALWAYS in automatic exposure.

I paid 40 USD for a B&W camera and received a cheaper one... that doesn't work properly. I can assume the problem, but I need a firmware for my color camera for it to work in its full potential. Where can I get it?

Thanks

Jose Munoz

Stefan Geissler
April 5, 2011, 16:56:52
Hello

can you please show me a bitmap with the grid and the camera's serial number?

Powerstar8PEC
April 5, 2011, 20:17:11
Hello,

Camera Serial Number: 43010179
DMK 21AU04.AS

Two images:
B&W that shows the grid
Color

Thanks

Stefan Geissler
April 6, 2011, 12:58:16
Hello,

This is quite embarrasing. I have to apologize, the sensor in the camera is indeed a colors sensor, as you found it.

I suggest to sent the camera back, so we can exchange the sensor board.

Powerstar8PEC
April 6, 2011, 15:12:57
Hello Stefan,

Please tell me where do I must send the camera. I bought it from OPT, if you tell me I have to send it to OPT I need you to talk with them or need an order number, or if you ask to send it to Germany please I need an address.

Thank you

Jose Munoz

Stefan Geissler
April 7, 2011, 15:46:46
Hello Jose,

you send the camera either to your camera dealer or you create a support case here:
http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

trisvasa
April 17, 2013, 19:19:47
Hello,

This is quite embarrasing. I have to apologize, the sensor in the camera is indeed a colors sensor, as you found it.

I suggest to sent the camera back, so we can exchange the sensor board.

Dear Stefan,
I'm strugling with my camera as well. LabVIEW and "IC Capture" seem to think it to be a color camera but it is supossed to be B&W.
Could you confirm if it is B&W or color?
The details of the camera are:
Model: DMK31BU03
S/N:26110192
Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Tristan

Stefan Geissler
April 18, 2013, 08:11:14
Hello Tristan,

Why does this happen two years, after the camera was built?

Do you receive a color image or an image with a visible bayer mosaic pattern?

trisvasa
April 22, 2013, 14:18:20
Hello Stefan,
I don't know if this has happened before. Is only recently that I have tried to use for real (we have been developing the whole experiment in the mean while) ie. with labview.
The symptoms are:
1. The image appears on the screen as grey scale, as I expected and this is why I didn't see any problem before.
2. If I try to save the image with IC it saves it as a 3x1024x768 array. I understand that this is an RGB array
3. If I try to use it with LabVIEW I see that the pixel format of the camera is BGRA 8 Packed, which again I understand that this corresponds to color.
I noticed the problem because I'm using a LabVIEW program that I used before for another BW camera of yours without any problem and now it keeps giving me errors in the calculations with the image that I could explain if the camera would be color.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Tristan

Stefan Geissler
April 22, 2013, 15:03:36
Hi Tristan,

the saved video format does not matter at all, because the RGB 24 formats are created by software, not by the camera.

However, if you use Y800 video format, do you see a checker board pattern? If not, your camera is a monochrome camera.