PDA

View Full Version : Help with ActiveX Labview

CarlSmith
March 28, 2011, 05:20:04
Hello,

I work in a robotics lab and we have a DFK 31AF03. It is a firewire, color CCD camera. I am trying to use the LabVIEW extension to acquire images that I can process but I cannot find the CD-ROM that came with the camera. Because of this, I do not have the SDK installed on my computer. I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could get this program? I need the ActiveX component on my machine so that LabVIEW will work. I have the serial number of my camera.

Thanks,

Carl

Stefan Geissler
March 28, 2011, 13:15:27
Hello Carl,

please download the current, standalone, free IC LabVIEW Extension from http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/downloads/extensions/

CarlSmith
March 28, 2011, 16:22:05
Thank you for the fast response Stefan.

I tried to do this and the installation places IC.IC Imaging Control Class.ctl in my ActiveX function palette but when I place this on the front panel it is greyed out. I have tried loading some of the examples (such as Labview Picture.vi) and they will not let me run the program. It seems that something is going wrong. Perhaps it is because I'm using Labview 2010. Any ideas?

In fact, a lot of the time when I try to place the control on my front panel, LabVIEW just completely exits like I closed the program. Could this have to do with the licensing key needed to install the extension? I am using the licensing key that was "automatically" filled in but I'm not sure where that came from. Like I said, I can't find the box/CD-ROM that came with this camera because we bought it awhile ago and the lab is a mess.

Stefan Geissler
March 28, 2011, 17:42:36
The downloaded setup contains all, the SDK is not needed.

We now have two ways:
1.) I show you, what to change in Windows, so LabVIEW wont end without an error message
2.) I have a new ActiveX 32 and 64 bit. You may create a support case, so I can send you the setup for testing. http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

CarlSmith
March 28, 2011, 18:19:16
I found another thread that talks about the bcdedit command and I did that. This fixed the problem of labview closing when inserting the control. Now, I have the ActiveX control on my front panel and it is white as expected.

The problem now is that when I load LabView Picture, it says that SubVI 'IC_Grab_Picture.vi': SubVI is not executable. I saw other threads about this mentioning that LabVIEW is not looking in the correct place for the dll files but I didn't understand how I am supposed to fix this. I am using 32-bit by the way. I will make a support case in a little bit. Thanks again Stefan.

Just an update: I worked through the steps in Getting Started, and I have a live video stream working in LabVIEW. It seems the issue now is how to grab an image because LabVIEW can't find the .dll files for that VI.

CarlSmith
March 30, 2011, 23:08:04
Just in case anyone is looking at this forum and has the same issue with dll's:

Go to the IC_Grab_Picture.vi or whichever vi is giving the dll error and then look at the block diagram.

Double click the "Call Library Function Node" block and browse to the IC labview extension dll file that is most likely located in your user.lib folder in the Labview directory.

JMak87
August 10, 2011, 18:26:21
I am trying to use a Jenoptik C3, the manufacturer provides an activeX control, and some Vi's but the latest driver for Labview 2010 doesn't work in live acquisition mode - I get the same probem of Labview quitting without any error messages.

Can someone tell me how to stop it from closing without giving an error message, and to find out how the activex controls work?

The camera status light shows that it goes to live acquisition mode, but the application just quits while the camera continues to acquire images. This also happens in their example program.

The software that the camera comes with works perfectly without any such errors, it seems like a Labview issue. I'm using Labview 2010 32-bit, in Windows 7 64-bit.

If anyone can offer advice, I'd appreciate it.

James

Michael Kirmse
August 11, 2011, 15:52:53
Dear JMak87,

unfortunately we do not support Jenoptik cameras or Labview, thus I suggest you to ask your question at the Jenoptics support or in the Labview forums. Feel free to ask, if you have any problems with The Imaging Source hardware or software.