PDA

View Full Version : ROI Explanation

jh2832
March 3, 2011, 18:45:44
I am considering using a ROI, to basically crop out some of the image that our current design has in it. My question is, what does ROI actually do? Does it basically "turn off" parts of the image sensor outside of the ROI? Do I loose pixels by doing this, do I not use all of my sensor? I would rather just make the optics work so I can use all of the sensor, but that may not be possible.
thanks, Jim.

Stefan Geissler
March 7, 2011, 17:14:02
Hello

ROI means "Region of Interrest". It cuts a rectangle of your image out of the whole image, so you have the interresting part only.

jh2832
March 8, 2011, 14:48:51
Guten Tag Stefan, Interestingly enough, that's about the only part I understand about it! What I am trying to understand is what are the ramifications on doing that from an image point of view.. if I am getting a 1024x768 image and ROI it down to half that, am I basically "loosing" the other half of the image, and I am now paying for a 1024x768 sensor and only using half of it, or does the software somehow "adjust" the ccd sensor to i guess zoom in on the ROI and I still get a full sensor image. Or is it simply that I get a half pixel count image?
Still trying to work this out in my head...

-jim

Stefan Geissler
March 8, 2011, 14:56:45
Well

ROI is meant to cut off a part of the image. The other pixels outside the ROI are ignored.

jh2832
March 8, 2011, 15:27:44
ok, thanks!